Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

this blows

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this blows

Actually its my LT that blew. Now i have to buy my second piston in less than a month. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Well i might sell her, i know i might regret it but ya gotta do what you gotta do. What kind of money do you think i could get for her? It has a twist throttle, DG nerfs/Bumper, FMF pipe, renthal bars. Oh and its an 88. I was hoping to get over 2000 for it but i dont think i will get that unless i fix it. Anybody want to buy it?

Old 04-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default this blows

ask 2000 or best offer, someone will call ya up and give ya a resonable price

Old 04-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default this blows

i dont think you could sell it for over 2000 with it fixed...

i would think around 1800 or so..

sorry to hear about that

Old 04-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default this blows

I'd say that sux but try 2100 or nearest offer!

Old 04-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default this blows

Did the person that bored the cylinder have the piston on hand too bore the cylinder too the piston? Was it a Wiseco piston?

Old 04-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default this blows

I would choose a different course of action myself. You or whoever works on your quad either did something wrong when putting in the new piston or (more likely) didn't figure out what caused the first one to go. If you give up you won't learn anything and will lose money. Even if you were going to sell it anyway, it would be worth more fixed. Unless its really nice with lots of mods it would be hard to get 2000$ with it running no less with a bad piston. Most people would find it odd that you wouldnt fix something so simple and will wonder why. That's gonna make it real hard to get top $.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default this blows

Did you see the piston for yourself? What type of damage? Was the piston itself damaged or just the rings and/or cylinder? How did you break it in? Might be a simple problem.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default this blows

Alright well i decided that im going to fix it and keep for at least this riding season. When i bought it (a month ago) it had a blown base gasket and the rings were seized to the piston (he used cheap oil and gaskets). I bought a piston off of ebay and installed it with vesrah gaskets. The piston was a .50 over wiseco. It started right up but then my friend just hopped on and took it for a ride grrrr. I was going to break it in slowly but like i said he just took off. I was recently just driving across a field and it just bogged down, cut out, and seized up. I have not tore it apart yet but i might saturday. I have however taken the plug out and it is toast which is very discouraging. When i rebuilt it i did not have it bored over, but now i am wishing that i did. I have heard that wiseco pistons are junk? Thats hard to believe but ya never know. I think im going to get a complete new top end. A few of the bolts in the cylinder i have now are starting to strip out even though they are torqued to spec. How much would a new top end be? I am also looking for a thumb throttle and a rear shock in good shape if anybody has one. I think that about covers everything.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default this blows

I agree with TomM. Something is not right with this picture. Was the bore checked for roundness? What was the clearence on the piston? What did the plug look like? Are you mixing? What ratio?
It had nothing to do with how it was broke in, unless it was ice cold and he pinned it 2 seconds after it lit. If the rings were seized to the piston, you are not getting enough top end oiling. Could be a lubrication issue or it could be a clearence issue?

Old 04-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default this blows

Originally posted by: mahnster
When i rebuilt it i did not have it bored over, but now i am wishing that i did.
More than likely, there is your problem right there. Don't cut corners and it should last a long time.
Gary

Quick Reply: this blows