Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

cyl. bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cyl. bolts

i have an 87 lt500 and i need longer cyl. bolts or nuts what ever you want to call them. does any one know where to get something like this they need to be about 1/4 inch longer then stock. and a new cyl. base gasket that is .060" thick

(rant on)
thanks to trinity's wonderful job rebuilding my engine. the cyl. nuts broke because there was only 3/4 of a thred in the nut and then the cyl unsealed and leaned out because it was sucking fresh air good job trinty $1900.00 down the drain and only got about a half day out of it. seems like when a person sets a nut in a hole and it only sticks out of it 1/32 of an inch it would tell them that the nut was to short
(rant off)

thanks

Old 04-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default cyl. bolts

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. You're not the only one. I wish more people knew how bad the junk is sold in magazines. I think if it wasn't for the younger, less experienced atv group, the atv aftermarket would be forced to sell good product to stay alive. (No insult intended for you younger guys, I hope you get what I mean. Just be carefull with your money). These forums are a good place to learn. Alot of these people have "been there, done that" and will help. O.K. end my rant. To maybe help with your problem, I needed longer studs for mine and I ended up using the longer studs found on one corner of the cylinder (one is longer than the rest) with the "socket type bolt" as the nuts. You know, the one bolt that threads over the one stud? If you don't know what I mean, I'll try to explain better.

Old 04-25-2004, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default cyl. bolts

well from what people said around a few fourms they said trinity was a great place to send it but they were suposed to do some dumb upgrade to thoes studs i think the are a larger thred in the case or something i dunno but i cant change the stud out with a stock one now so my only option is to find a longer nut/bolt whet ever it is and also try to find an extra think cyl. base gasket

Old 04-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Range Rover
Default cyl. bolts

I see that you live in kent washington, i used to live in federal way and had all my work done by a guy that lives in tacoma. He works out of his shop in tacoma and does great work. He can do just about anything, he builds race engines for local racers and has personnaly tuned up my engine with porting, head work ,etc. Look him up on the net , its called action cycle. Having your work done locally by him is great because he will answer all your questions and you dont have to send it out to wherever. hE can get the parts you need and fix what trinity has messed up.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default cyl. bolts

V8,
Did you at least give Trinity the chance to right there wrong?? What was there response to the issue? $1900
is alot of cash to spend twice. Good luck getting your Zilla running.
Freak

Old 04-26-2004, 03:18 AM
Trailblazer
Default cyl. bolts

before i even got my motor back they just blew me off when i tried to find out the status on my motor when i sent it to the it was only supposed to cost 1300 then when they finely called and said it was done they told me that it would cost 1900 and i had 72 hours to pay or they would charge storage .it took them 6 months to rebuild it and it was only suposed to take 3 weeks

and i am sure they would want me to ship it there and that alone would cost me as much as the parts i really dont want to deal with them again but ill probly call and find out how to get the right parts and fix it myself

Old 04-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default cyl. bolts

Still a little unclear on your needs?? It's either a bolt or a nut. If it is threaded but is capped at the end then it's a cap nut. Some cap nuts have what seem to be longer threads in them, from a structual standpoint the amount of threads used by the nut (any nut) needs to only equal the diameter of the threaded rod. In other words a plain old open ended nut that's 1/2" tall (1/2" threads in it) holds just as well as a 1" long cap nut (1" of threads). After that the rod becomes the weak point. Cap nuts are generally used for 1) looks and 2) protect the threads.

So any metric nut will work of equal rod diameter and thread pitch. Adding a .060 gasket shouldn't make that much difference, it'll usually compress anyway.

I'd still go back to Trinity and see what they'll do.

Good Luck,
Rob

Old 04-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default cyl. bolts

the parts i need look like bolts they are about 2 inches long but the stud threds into it so i guess it is a female bolt. and the outside diameter is the same as the hole drilled into the cyl.

as far as the gasket trinity wrote a note on a tag that said an .060 thick gasket must be used

Old 04-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Range Rover
Default cyl. bolts

GO to the guy i mentioned in the future, you cant go wrong , youll save on shipping atleast. I paid 1400 and got a new modded wiseco piston, fully ported cylinder, all new gears , shift forks, all new bearings, new cyl. sleeve, new head bolts, rebuilt and welded crank, hot rod kit , new water pump, and all new seals and gaskets, the only thing that was old was my cases. My power valve was stuck and he fixed that also. As for your cyl. nuts you should have retorqed them after 1st ride, i think they are supposed to use thread lock though. Its kinda weird how they said youd "have" to use a .060 gasket im thinking they may have shaved the head too much and didnt leave enough piston clearance between the head. I think you are gonna have to take this in somewhere because those cyl. bolts have to be pressed in anyway.

Old 04-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default cyl. bolts

what is the name of the place

Quick Reply: cyl. bolts