Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

cyl. bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cyl. bolts

Originally posted by: v8vega350
the parts i need look like bolts they are about 2 inches long but the stud threds into it so i guess it is a female bolt. and the outside diameter is the same as the hole drilled into the cyl.

as far as the gasket trinity wrote a note on a tag that said an .060 thick gasket must be used

How many bolts are like this?. I looked up an 87 Zilla (LT500RH), not sure if that's correct. It shows the water cooled cylinder, a set of studs/nuts for the cylinder and another set for the cylinder head. The studs are threaded so they can be removed/replaced. By your description I can only see 2 bolts as you describe and they appear to be on the cylinder only. The cylinder head seems to just have regular nuts.

Maybe you can look up the parts needed on bikebandit.com. The diagrams are a good reference for parts layouts.

The 60 over gasket could be normal if the cylinder head was out of wack and they needed to remove that much to clean it up.

Good Luck,
Rob

Old 04-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default cyl. bolts

click here

there is a micro fiech for the cyl. it will look like #19 but the ones i need have to be longer then stock

:edit: i clicked and it took me to the year page but select 87 suzuki lt500rj then click cyl. and it will be #13 that i need it is called a stud bolt

Old 04-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default cyl. bolts

Sounds like it may have been either snapped off at the top of the stud, or threaded too far into the case. The thicker gasket shouldnt be an issue.

Or is it possible that the studs were removed from the case and installed in the wrong holes? #11,12 13 all have
different part#s. Do any of the other base studs look like they have too much thread sticking out past the nut?
If so they F*#ked up and knew about it before you did! I'd be getting my money back for that HACK job. They just diddnt take the time to do it right. So you get screwed! I wish there was a reputable shop that could actually do
the work they advertise. Good luck, hope you get it worked out and get to ride your Zilla.
Freak

Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer
Default cyl. bolts

yeah they were removed from the case and replaced with diffrent ones that i think are larger on the base threds then the top threds so they should are be the right studs but like you said hack job

Old 04-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default cyl. bolts

Those are long reach bolts and the factory probably doesn't offer any others. Still wondering why everything has changed unless as someone mentioned the studs have been moved around. But you should be able to see that.

You need a longer stud. Look at the others, is there a longer one you can get to replace it with? Maybe you can make one from a piece of all thread or a long bolt you can cut off the head. If I recall the torque specs aren't that high, 15-18ftlbs which isn't that much pressure. A good grade 8 long bolt should suffice. Hardned steel the better.

good luck,
Rob