Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

zilla clutch options

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zilla clutch options

hey,
my 88 zilla needs a new clutch, i dont want to spend too much money, what are some good reliable deals out there? good brands? stuff to avoid? any suggestions more then welcome.
thanks in advance.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

Very different machine but.. I installed a dunlop clutch kit on my sons Z400 and it works well.

Old 05-03-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

I have a Barnett Dirt Digger on mine. I'd recommend it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

i would watch out for the kevlar plates they can raise havoc with the fingers on the clutch basket. If You have the money i would look into a the hinson clutch basket also it drops the leverage about half and just makes it a lot smotther feeling. Barnett Dirt diggers good brand see if you can get it without the kevlar.. check rocky mountian they have some cheaper units i thinks its primary drive like 60$? Ebc has a good kit also but its a little over 100$

03 HP 300
88 lt 500r
91 Lt250r

Old 05-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Dont go for the flashy Billit hubs and clutch units. I would highly recommend the stock clutch, but with Barnett springs. There are 90hp Alky Zillas running this setup. Its all I have ever run and it far outlasts anything I have seen from the aftermarket.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

not to sound like an ***...but can you back that statement up? I just want to know where u got that the billet doesnt last longer than stock cause ur the first person i have heard that from. Everyone else says to go aftermarket.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

No, its cool, I about choked when I was told that the first time, I have a good article on Zillas that DR Q wrote, Ill see if I can dig it up.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I found one of the statements, Its not saying that the Billet units are that bad, but states a few drawbacks, again, I didn't write this, Dr Q did:

posted 04-16-2003 05:29 PM04-16-2003 05:29 PM

Clutch: The stock clutch/hub/basket plates work pretty well w/just a HD (Barnett/EBC) spring change.(These motors have so much torque you hardly ever need to fan the clutch) If the basket fingers and hub get grooved from the steel plates the clutch action will be poor. Also, the clutch drive gear springs get fatigued/loose after a while. This makes for a noisy clutch as well as transmits more of a "shock" load thru all the motor on engagement.
Warning: Those "bitchin" aftermarket billet clutch baskets have a couple of huge drawbacks.
They require reusing your old drive gear off the old "junk" basket you are replacing. Unless you had a "freak" failure the old drive gear springs will be loose. This not only causes the above "shock loading" but also "works" the bolts they give you to install it on the new basket until they oval out the holes in the gear hub and let the gear/basket assy get loose. Now EVERYTHING that rotates w/the clutch is subject to excessive vibration and runout DAMAGE.
The billet basket is a quality piece as long as you attach to a new/good drive gear correctly.
Otherwise, by a new OE Suzuki basket/hub/plate.
$.02 more

I have a few more that recommend the stock clutch with heavy springs, Ill keep looking

Old 05-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

wow...comin from Dr. Q....that says a lot. I would be interested in reading the other articles though.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Also, from what I understand this applies only to Zillas, as they have not been graced with the aftermarket R&D that Banshees and 250Rs have. Im sure a better setup COULD be invented, but how profatable would it be? There are many choices for the Shees and Hondas, and since the market is more dense, this forces more quality.

I found another article, Ill keep looking till I find the other 2, then Ill post them

Quick Reply: zilla clutch options