Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Powdercoating vs SprayPaint

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating vs SprayPaint

You shouldn't be able to flake PC off. Poor bonding caused by poor prep. PC isn't all that hard but like any finishing job prep. is very important.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

All over the internet the powdercoating guys say it's flexible. From the process described, it's some sort of polymer applied from an electro-static spray gun, then melt-baked on. Well, if it's a polymer (plastic-ish material), then it's probably pretty flexible.

Wonder why the powdercoating I've seen has been so crack prone? Maybe there are several different processes? Maybe since I grew up in Alaska, my memory is tainted my super cold weather stories of powdercoating failures.

I'm sold! This thread led me to look up info on the 'net and LEARN. I'd definitely consider powdercoating now, where before I wouldn't.

uhhh... since I learned something today, can I go home early?

Old 05-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have a ton of coating on my quad and love it. It is very tough and very durable. As for the flexablity I will say this. It will and can crack but it takes a pretty good bend to do it. My question is this.. How often do you plan to bend you frame or a-arms to see if it will crack? LOL..... I did have a couple spots on my frame after I wrecked my quad where the coating cracked, but it was in spots where it was bent very badly. So I guess what I'm saying is that it is flexable to a certain point and it can crack, but for the most part you coat parts that you HOPE don't get bent!

My quad has black and candy red all over it. Side cases, axle, axle nuts, frame, a-arms, hubs front and back, water pump cover, bumper, grab bar... and it has all held up great! By the way the new frame that I bought was done in silver vein and I like it but I miss my Candy RED!

Later,
Mike

Old 05-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: TheRaptorMan
I have a ton of coating on my quad and love it. It is very tough and very durable. As for the flexablity I will say this. It will and can crack but it takes a pretty good bend to do it. My question is this.. How often do you plan to bend you frame or a-arms to see if it will crack? LOL..... I did have a couple spots on my frame after I wrecked my quad where the coating cracked, but it was in spots where it was bent very badly. So I guess what I'm saying is that it is flexable to a certain point and it can crack, but for the most part you coat parts that you HOPE don't get bent!

My quad has black and candy red all over it. Side cases, axle, axle nuts, frame, a-arms, hubs front and back, water pump cover, bumper, grab bar... and it has all held up great! By the way the new frame that I bought was done in silver vein and I like it but I miss my Candy RED!

Later,
Mike
The candies don't hold up like the standard PCs to bending. Candies usually have a 100-120IN.LBS inpact resistance.

Silver Vein Specs:
This is a texture but very smooth. Fuel resistant . Recommended Film Thickness 1.8-2.2MILS . Cure Schedule 10/400F . Impact Resistance Direct 160IN.LBS.* = clear top coat recommended

Make sure it's cleared cause it's not UV resistant.( the sun will fade it)

Old 05-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

The candies don't hold up like the standard PCs to bending.

Silver Vein Specs:
This is a texture but very smooth. Fuel resistant . Recommended Film Thickness 1.8-2.2MILS . Cure Schedule 10/400F . Impact Resistance Direct 160IN.LBS.* = clear top coat recommended

I HOPE that I never get to tell you if the silver vein will crack as easy as the candies. LOL don't want to buy another frame. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Besides they may be weaker but they sure are PURDY!

Where is Campbell Ohio? How far from WV? I may have to check your prices out compared to my local guy here in WV. Just out of curiousity (you can PM me) how much would you charge to PC a frame? Also how much for little parts like a Starter cover in candy red?

Old 05-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I Had my exhaust canister done from a local guy for 30$

Looks great & holds up nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Range Rover

My friends dad just started powdercoating and has done a bunch of rims, bumbers and even a 4 place sled trailer. Since I know them hes doing my quad for me. Hes doin my frame chrome then goin over it with blue, my a arms yellow, and whatever else I can think of.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I also PC, and can back up Capn's comments about flexibility. Paint doesn't even compare. You need to find someone who uses industry standard preparation practices. Just like with paint, 90% of the quality of the finished product is due to someone prepping the part properly.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

When the wheeler comes from the factory, is it powder coated? My understanding is that most (if not all) chassis and suspension parts are painted with an epoxy based paint. (Touch up paint in factory matched colors are available in "rattle cans" from PJ1). It is true that powdercoating is very durable/flexible. But how many of us don't have dings missing out of our coated springs? OK We live with it, But what if damage finds it's way to your fancy PCed frame? There is no "touching up" powdercoat. The piece must be taken down to bare metal and recoated. Ever tried to remove powdercoating? The tricked out candy colors are the coolest looking, but also the most expensive, and most likely to chip and fade. Without question, the prep. work will, in great part, determine the outcome of your project, paint or PC. So take your time and do it right, or turn it over to someone you can trust to do so.
Paint or powdercoat? What about chrome? Ha!

Old 05-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Chrome, now THAT'S tough!

But too mexican for my tastes. *wink*

Quick Reply: Powdercoating vs SprayPaint