Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating vs SprayPaint

powdercoating...stronger and will prolly look better

Old 05-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Quad Patrol

Definately powder coating, looks better, last longer and resists dings better then spray paint

Old 05-05-2004, 05:47 AM
Pro Rider

Powdercoating by a long shot

Old 05-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Range Rover

lt230racer
I do powder coating. If you want a cutom color like candies or flip-flop go with paint. Although I can do these colors their very expensive and don't hold up as good as standard powder Colors. If you want anything PCed let me know and I'll give you a quote. My prices are very reasonable.

I have some pics of my work on my about me page. If you want a frame done I have to take it to work and bake it because my oven at home isn't big enough, so your probably better off finding a local PCer. But A-Arms, Spindles, Axles, Swingarms, Bumpers, Grab bars, Nerf Bars, Foot pegs, engine cases, rims, etc... I can do and save you money even with shipping charges.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure EVERY HOLE and EVERY WELD is done before powder coating. You can't do spot touchups if you make a mod after the job is done. Also, powdercoating isn't very flexible. It's prone to cracking at stress points if there's any flex.
It sure does look nice, though!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: aksafari
Make sure EVERY HOLE and EVERY WELD is done before powder coating. You can't do spot touchups is you make a mod after the job is done. Also, powdercoating isn't very flexible. It's prone to cracking at stress points if there's any flex.
It sure does look nice, though!
Powder coat is very flexable. Most automove and atv springs come from the factory Powder Coated.
I have samples of my work to show customers. one of my samples is a 3/4" wide 6" long .080" thick piece of spring metal that I powder Coated Black. I bend it to show how PC holds up under flex. It hasn't cracked yet.

Look at my pics, my front springs are powder coated blue.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

True it is very flexable......I think the people who want a really really nice paint job go with paint, and those of us who want durability and looks, go with powdercoating, the stuff is almost indestructible.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

I just knew someone was going to say that. I still can't figure out why everyone says it's flexible when all the frames on quads to Jeeps I've seen that have been powder coated have cracks. Maybe it's only here in Southern Oregon that it's not flexible???

I don't buy that. Maybe it has something to do with temp or humidity. Maybe it's the process and prep being done poorly around here.

I've got to say that I've flaked a piece of powdercoating off of a steel wheel and it wasn't flexible at all. How could I have such different experience with PC when you guys swear that it's flexible?

Old 05-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you look at your springs(coil over your shocks on quad), they are usually pc'ed....and they take lots of stress.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating vs SprayPaint