Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

this is where i am at now...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default this is where i am at now...

zillas right about the pilot...but when i started jetting i started at 185 and ifi grabbed my throttle beeing twist im used to cranking it when i start it and it wouldnt start kicking unless i didnt touch it,would just soak plug.zillas spark plug theory sounds good too. hey how fast do u have to be pulling it to bull start it like barely ?or takes awhile

Old 06-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i barely have to tow it, and it starts right up. that's what i don't get.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hey like he said,tist throttle and giving it the gas when starting,yup done that one before at the race's,try starting it with your hand off the twist grip and hold the handle bar's,if your's is a twist throttle.

Old 06-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

definately not that. i know better about that. anyway, i just went out there again trying to start it. i moved the clip to the fourth notch down on the needle, and put in a 175 main(it's all i had right now). still nothing. i have spark, gas, and air. i am so pissed off. i guess tomorrow, i'll buy a new plug and see what happens. the spark looks good, so i know a new plug is just another long shot.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Try the plug and keep us posted 800,we'll get ya through it.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

I may be way off, but do you prime your engine before starting it? Was rippin my hair out to start my Zilla at first.
once I started priming it it fires right up.

A once fouled plug is a paper weight..

just my .02

Old 06-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

normally, i don't prime it, but i'll get a new plug today and a 178 main, and see what happens. thanks for everyone's help.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

Here's my guess or 2 cents.....
My bike did the same thing when I first put a totally new topend and cylinder on it, I
couldn't kick it over for shi*, pop start yes I could. When it would stall ..same thing over and over.
What I think is the problem is you have an air leak, either in the base, cylinder head,or
the reed cage...somewhere you aren't torqued enough I would double check your bolts
and torque specs. Heres my theory when your kicking your not creating enough vaccuum
to seal the job, but when you pop start it there's more than enough vaccuum too seal
off the leak. Just think about what I'm saying thus letting your engine fire up until your hitting the throttle and the circuit is being interupted by the leak and causing it to idol irratic and causing it
to stall and start the whole process over again. I hope I've made some sence to this problem.
I went through this same thing and thats what I made out of this ordeal. As far as the jets go..
try a smaller one maybe 2 sizes down and go from there, it doesn't hurt to try a different jet
what kind of carb are you using?If it's a Keihin I ran mine at 3/4 turn out,go to the Keihin website
they can be very helpful with jetting.I hope I made some kind of sence to your ordeal and you locate your problem,and get back on the trails !!

Old 06-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Went back and re-read your prob. Bigone is prolly onto somthing with the air leak. Can you do a leak-down test
before you get her fired back up? May save you some time chasing your tail, and get your problem pinpointed.

If the idol is running up like that = lean then KABOOM!!

Find the leak, put your jetting back to what you had and go from there..

Rotsa Ruck

Old 06-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

both of u have been helpful. i noticed that the rad valve boot was alittle off...now i don't know if this is the problem. i tightened it again. my bike shop said the same thing, air leak or low compression. i didn't get a chance to try it tonight, but i will tomorrow. i got a couple of new plugs and a 180 main. i can't see it being lean with a 185. anyway...i hope to have good news tomorrow. the thing i don't understand is, it was running great and starting up on the first kick the first couple of days before i started to ride it semi-hard. i'll let u guys know what happens. if it doesn't start tomorrow, i'm going to have a compression test done (although the compression feels the same).

Quick Reply: this is where i am at now...