Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

resistor plugs in lt 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resistor plugs in lt 500

Just bought a new carb from duncan racing and they suggest running a stock b8es plug gapped at .028 no need for fancy expensive plugs and no gains in performance.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

You should've tried the Ridium plug,I notice better performance with it,I've used the regular B8ES NGK plug and there is a difference in performance between the two.The Ridium plug burn's the fuel more efficiently.Just my .02.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TomM
Is that what you run in yours (B8ES)? My factory service manual says B8EGV but they are a whole lot more expensive than the B8ES or B8EG. Do you know what the difference is between the 3 ?
Hi Tom,

Yes, I run the B8ES in mine... exclusively. The other designations are related to electrode length, etc. specifically as follows:

B=14mm thread length
8=heat range
E=Thread reach (19mm)
S=2.6 mm Std Center electrode

GV= Gold-Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word  center electrode V-type for Racing use (Might be why they are so dang expensive eh?)
G=Fine wire Nickel alloy center electrode

You can spend the $$$ on the fancy stuff if you want to... but it's not worth it IMHO.

I cannot comment on Zuk's recent experience with Iridum plugs burning more efficiently.. could be true, and I'll go get one and try it out, and let you know... The technology on the NGK plugs is very old... Someone could always make a better 'mouse-trap'.

Ball's comment about 'leaking' electricity and RFI just kills me! My side is still hurting from the belly laugh on that one!!
take heed in my comment about impedance matching and system optimization... I might not know alot about our precious Lt's, but I have been an Electrical Engineer for 8 years.

My $.03

Old 06-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Let's see ...

Follow the advice of the guy with 6 thumpers talking about radio reception...
OR
Follow the advice of the guy who can break down spark plug part numbers and owns three 2 strokes...

I just can't decide.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

DuneAddict,
In my experience w/ automobiles, the plugs were the same in all aspects except the "R" plugs cut down radio interferance where as the non "R" plug was not pleasant if there were radio type equipment involved. I'm not an electrical engineer nor a spark plug guru, I just operate on my experience from working in automotive parts houses and my own mechanical knowledge. Glad I could make you laugh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 06-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Ball
The "r" means that they are made to not "leak" electricity to interfere with your radio reception. They should onlybe slightly more expensive and will do no harm to your atv.

he's right it only reduces the 'engine noise' your spark creates interfering with all the electrical equipment you carry with you on your 2 stroke....like a radio for relaxing and listening to while you put through the trails.

Old 06-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

"Today's spark plugs use resistors to eliminate radio frequency interference (RFI) which can affect on-board computer or ignition systems, AM and FM radio reception, and TV broadcasts. Each time the spark jumps across a gap, an electromagnetic field is created that can interfere with radio signals. By placing a resistor in the spark plug, we can substantially reduce RFI. Furthermore, the use of non-resistor plugs with today's complex computer systems can result in driveability problems, loss of performance and can even cause the computer to store trouble codes.

Many motorcycles produced now have computer controlled ignition and/or fuel injection systems. RFI can effect these components. Several motorcycle aftermarket ignition modules are sensitive to RFI. Most notable among these are some modules produced by DynaTech. Use of proper spark plugs and ignition wires will eliminate the problems observed."

cut/paste from a yahoo search

Old 06-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

this might help

Old 06-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Bing, I'm not going to argue with your postings, because those are the reasons the R type plug was/is manufactured... The original post was the utilization of them on the LT500, which does not have any sensitive computer equipment aboard, let alone any radio equipment... (hence the serious giggle I got from Ball's post) not to mention they don't 'leak' electricity... you are spot on with the electromagnetic field created, and another phonomenon called corona (Not the beer) discharge which is the ionization of the surrounding atmosphere.

IF you look at this ignition system from a design standpoint, and you understand the theory of Maximum Power transfer from a source to a load, the load must have the same resistance as the internal resistance of the source. This can be accomplished by using a transformer to match the two resistances. (Coil)
Once this value is determined using a certain resistance, it becomes fixed... changing the resistance of the plug after the fact results in a non-optomized design...

Jumping off my soapbox now:

Granted, it's fairly insignificant, and to the casual observer, your motor will run just fine if you put one of these in there... I don't run them.

My $.02

baldoldzilla: have we beat this horse to death yet?

Old 06-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

"The horse died" I ran both the "S" and the "R" plug this weekend..............I rode all trails, woods,rail beds,fields,rocks,ruts,roots,ect. One day each plug. I found no difference between the two. The new carb I got from Duncan ran "the ballz" much smoother than the stocker,better idle,topend seems endless,well almost. They prejetted it with info I supplied to them and hit it right on the numbers. After running it each day for about 4 hours+ The plugs looked almost identical brown the iridium plug was slightly cleaner in appearance. I was running VP U-2 fuel and cam2 in a 40:1 mix with motul 800 2t premix the temps were from 65f-80f. If my front master cylinder hadn't decided to mail it in early I'd probably still be out there. AHWELL one of the only parts not to be replaced or rebuilt on the machine.....guess I better keep an eye on the radiator it's the only thing left!!

Quick Reply: resistor plugs in lt 500