Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

QUADZILLA 500! pos or mean machine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUADZILLA 500! pos or mean machine?

I can get a deal on a suzuki lt500 quadzilla in good running shape and I have a few questions about the zilla before i buy one.

1) how reliable are they? will i have to fix something every time i ride?

2) how long do the engines last? i have heard bad things about the main bearings

3) Im not sure of the year, but what year zilla's should i stay away from? what years are the best?

4) how long do the top ends last in between rebuilds?

5) handling?

6) do they foul plugs all the time?

7) should I pass on the deal and get something else?

thanks in advance for the help, I dont have much experience with suzuki quads, I'm more into their street bikes.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

1) Can be very reliable depending on a multitude of variables (How it's treated, maintained, and mods that have been done or need to be done) I ran the original piston 12 years before I rebuilt mine... but I'm very **** about maintainence plus I don't beat the living hell out of it either.

2) Partially answered in #1. There are design shortfalls with this engine! Main bearings are not an issue, but the housings that hold them are. Either the case halves have been fixed, or will need to be eventually... all years have this problem.

3) The '87 has a larger reed/intake and is known for making more power, however not a significant difference.
This year has 1 fewer head stud, and are prone to blowing head gaskets unless design shortfalls have been corrected. Once shortfalls have been corrected, there is no huge difference in reliability b/w the years.

4) See 1).... depends on you mostly... how hard you ride it, conditions, maintainence, etc, etc ,etc, etc...

5) Handles great! It's a big/heavy machine, but it rides like a cadillac IMHO... Does it handle as good on the MX track as my 250R? Nope... but it's no slouch either.

6) Not if they are jetted right... see comments above about maintainence

7) Depends on your needs wants and desires.... These machines demand some TLC... And some tinkering... If you want something that you can just putt around on, and never touch it other than to dump gas in it.... get a thumper.

If the design shortfalls have not been corrected on your potential purchase, you need to realize there will be a significant amount of work and $$ invested to make it a realiable arm ripping machine.
Is the machine in prime unmolested form? (Very hard to find)

If it's in rough shape to begin with, it will take a substantial committment from you...

This is merely my $.02 worth... I wouldn't part with mine for anything. I've owned it since 1991 where I found it in a barn in brand new condition. The majority of machines for sale out there have been beat to death, or restored by Omar the horrible (Shop guy)... be careful and do some research before you drop that precious $$$ on the table.

Good luck,

Old 06-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there!
Well alot of your questions relate to pretty much one thing and thats on how you maintain it.
Of course it helps you if the person you buy it from is doing the same thing.
As far as top end goes it all depends on how hard you ride it, and how the pre mix as well as jetting is set. Ask the guy if and when it's had top end service done and what it's been bored out to before you buy so you have an idea of whats goin on with it.
As far as reliability goes well...nothing is breakdown proof but some simple care and love
will help in the long run.Good Luck !!

Old 06-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

If you are looking for a kick in the a$$ the zilla is the way to go, If you are looking for a maintenance free unit wellll.... I love the LT I've had others but have come back to the LT to stay. They have always treated me well, But I've also spent much $$ and time to keep them that way. I raced one competively back in 1990-92 in cross country events, I probably let the machine down more than it let me down, It is a heavy machine and will wear you out some times. Riding it for fun though is another story they will haul you out of just about any problem. Their biggest problem is AGE, but there are still lots of oem parts available and if you hunt a little there are some nice aftermarket parts too. My .02 worth

Old 06-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Recently I made a rare find which has taken my focus from my Zilla. When I bought my 88 250R I justified the purchace by telling myself I would sell the Zilla to re-cuop the expense. On long trail rides, 100 miles+ per day you cant beat the Zilla. In stock form (piped) they are very well mannered, the susp is caddillac like on whooped out trails, and that big back seat is awesome to put miles on. Mine has never let me down. If the right buyer comes along I may sell it. But I will be selective when it comes to the new owner. I'm still on the fence if I want to part with it or not. Actually I'm in the market for a 4-place enclosed trailer, for next season. I know once I give up my Zilla I will live in Regret.

Old 06-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

Tnaks for all the help! Looks like I have no choice other than buying the zilla, I'm gonna take a look at it this sunday and if i like it, im gonna have him hold it for me until i can get the money and I'll most likely restore it to brand new condition and use it as a dune machine.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

RIDE BEFORE YOU BUY