Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Plastic Renew

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Renew

Hey all,
I have an 03' Z400 and I bought it used. The plastics are scratched a little and I bought this Plastic Renew Kit. It is basically, some sand paper, Steel wool, and then this really crazy "white goo". Well, long story short has anyone used this stuff before and have any tips? I bought a new graphics kit and I have sanded the $^% out of it. I applied "the white goo" and it turned my fingers into shiny fingers. The bottle says to use one direction when applying but has anyone really tried it? It looks better but I am still having a very hard time seeing what it is actually doing to the plastics? I have the white Suzuki plastics and it is extremely difficult to see this stuff going on. It is easier said then done! Any advice? And should I finalize the process with the plastic shine stuff?

Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic Renew

You may want to do a search. There's been some great information on this in other threads. I've heard the plastic renew takes lots and lots of time and sanding. Read the directions and do what is says.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Range Rover
Default Plastic Renew

I would never use plastic renew on my quad. My brother used it on his 400ex and it is the absolute worst looking part of the bike. Your plastic won't shine again after that junk rinses right off. I would steer away from it.

It's very time-consuming and doesn't yield that great of a result.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic Renew

Sorry guys,
I started the process. Yes, I had my doubts but there were some deep scratches that needed to be taken care of. The sanding part was probably the worst of the whole thing. I am not done by any means. I went ahead and started the process because my plastics are white and it says that best results will be on darker colors. I do believe that cause the black gas tank cover looks great! I will hopefully have some pics up soon. I am not to worried about the sides, cause I bought new graphics. The white plastics in the rear were to worst and they look kinda sanded/faded currently. I still need to put 2-3 more coats of the stuff on it. It is thick stuff!! I will keep you posted!

Old 06-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Range Rover
Default Plastic Renew

dont use the spray on its more expensive and doesnt work as well. anyone that says this stuff doesnt work hasn't taken their time and just wanted a quick fix. My friend and i have both used it with excellent results. its been a while but i believe you want to start sanding with 200, then 400 then we may have used 800 cant remember. then hit it with some steel wool. use a lint free cloth and wipe in one direction only. after she is all done and dry hit it with the fine steel wool again. clean her off and reapply the renew and your set. it has worked miracles on our plastic. the key is to do really good on the sanding and this will take time, but it beats paying 200-300 for new plastic and if its your quad that your going to hold onto its well worth the time. if your selling your quad to buy a new toy and your plastic is rough its also well worth it.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic Renew

quadnoob check yours pm s do u have a pic of that team suzuki front bumber iam going to get one but like to see a pic of one . cant find one thanks.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic Renew

I as well have used it on my kfx-400 after a bad role and the plastics had some deep scratches. It looks a whole lot better than after the role. I think it looks nice. Does take some work though. After your done get some silcon spray or what ever that stuff is that gives plastic a shine and it will look and feel brand new. You know the next time i use it am going to use a electric sander and i am going to get a little paint sprayer that you would use for models and put the "white goo" in it and see how that works.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic Renew

I used it on my scrammy..............It made it look a hundred times better......my plastic is red and it was really dulled out...so I got the plastic renew stuff and I must say it does look a-lot better then it did...............Here is some tips...................sanding is the key...you want it as smooth as can be....so when you think you sanded it good enough...its about half of what needs to be done..........as for the very fine sandpaper...(I think they give you 400) anyways...I bought some 600 at an auto store...and I sanded with that FOREVER.....as for the solution....I put 7 coats on my plastic....don't be bashfull about it either..at first I would have like the paper towel (the size was like 1 inch by an inch) and I would just put it on one little swipe at a time....well the best way is get a paper towel (shop towels are better so I would get those if you can) get one piece...fold it in half....take your renew stuff and put a whole bunch on the towel....now with the bigger towel with it soaked with that solution it should only take you about two swipes to cover one side of a fender.....like I said I did around 7 coats like this and it turned out pretty good.....Just don't be bashful about that cleaner..I ended up having half a bottle left.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Range Rover
Default Plastic Renew

yeah that stuff does last forever it seems like.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic Renew

If it doesn't shine when you're done, try spraying on some foaming tire cleaner. It works great on plastic.

Quick Reply: Plastic Renew