Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Adjusting valves sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting valves sucks!

Got it done the first time (on my Eiger) and as soon as I started it, I realized I had tdc on the wrong stroke. Started over, definitely got the right stroke, but now it's running a little rougher than it was before. Sometimes I think you should leave well enough alone and say screw the factory recommended service.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your timing's off,although you said you hit TDC, it sounds as if the motors runing rough
because of a timing issue.My 2 cents. Good Luck let us know what ya come up with for the
cure.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

the first time it is a little rough but after you get the hang of it. you'll be glad you did it.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

I HATE adjusting my Eiger's valves. The stupid frame is in the way, especially on the exhaust valves.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

My third adjustment was closer.... I'm at .229 on the exhaust and .080 on the intake. It is fine at full throttle, but backfiring a little through the airbox when you barely hold the throttle in now, so I'm guessing I need to come down closer to .05 on the intake side?

Old 07-04-2004, 09:58 PM
MJE
Range Rover

You need to fix the air/fuel mixture on your carb first...I tuned my intake valve right int he middle of the specs they wanted it...along with teh exhaust right in the middle (dont remember values at this time)

make sure your air filter is clean...your plug is gapped correctly and also clean...and most importantly...make sure your mixture screw is out about 2 1/4 turns. (take off bowl of carb, and use tiny screwdriver to seat screw and then back out 2 1/4 turns.

That should remedy your problem.

-Mike

Old 07-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

I did the same thing on my vinson. The valves were way off. I got it on tdc and everything turned out fine. I can't think of anything wrong you could have done besides that - as long as you have the valves adjusted at the right clearance with the timing mark lined straight up.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

i really honestly dont know how to do my valves on my vinson, what tools would i need, and how time consumeing is it, i have 2500mi or so, and it has never been done is it worth doing it, or just a headache,

dbuz how do you like your webcam?

Old 07-04-2004, 11:47 PM
MJE
Range Rover

10 MM wrench, 10 mm socket with extensions...8 mm socket with extensions...feeler gauge (sears 6 bucks). Patience and a couple of screwdrivers

all you really need to do is remove the gas tank and pinch off the hoses so they dont leak...you will open the two plates of your valves and see two tappets that have tiny nuts on each of them. You will need to loosen the 4 small nuts (1 per tappet) and then twist off the tappets (tiny little screws and put your feeler gauge underneath them.) According to the values set by suzuki you will just use the appropriate gauge and then twist down the tappet by finger tight...move the feeler gauge in and out so until it rubs somewhat on the gauge. You will then put the tiny nuts back on the tappets and tighten. (keep feeler gauge underneath tappets until you are fully tightened to assure proper clearance.)

You will need to find Top dead center on the compression stroke which means theres an 8mm alan key hole right above your pull start...you will need to loosen that and take off the pull start cover and the spark plug. Twist the nut which is located underneath the pull start while holding your finger over the spark plug hole. You will keep twisting the 14mm socket (on the nut underneath pull start while looking inside of the hole from the 8 mm alan key for a small white line (showing top dead center)

by keeping a finger over the spark plug hole you will be able to feel air being pushed out towards you (thats your compression stroke)...as long as you feel the air come towards you just twist the motor to top dead center (the white mark inside the alan key hole) and make your adjustments.

Be sure to do this while the motor is cool.

-MJE-

Old 07-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

It has a lot more power. A clutch kit would be nice. I need to wait for the Z450 and spend my money on it. A guy had one in the paper for $6500 last week. It is probably gone now.

Quick Reply: Adjusting valves sucks!