Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Ricky Carmichael and Suzuki RM250

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004 | 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ricky Carmichael and Suzuki RM250

Doug Gust is cool, I bought him a beer in Vegas.....But the real stars are the MX boys like RC and Bubba. I too, love to watch their aeorobatics,,,something quads just can't equal, not till we get 450s under 200 lbs anyway.

Thing is, the MX bikes, and tracks, are built for these jumps, and the action is mesmorizing.

Thing is, these new MX bikes, I'm talking the last 20 years, are built for these awesome jumps, but they don't corner worth a damn. So much suspension raises the center of gravity and the ability to corner and powerslide.

So guess what? Quad racing has real action in the corners! Quad racing is fun as hell to watch, and makes MX bikes look choreographed by comparison. Quad racing is anything but predictable.

Old 07-11-2004 | 05:32 PM
|
Pro Rider

Is Bubba going 250 for the next supercross or motocross season? How long do think he will stay with Kawi? The battle between Ricky and Bubba is going to be awesome once he starts racing 250.

Old 07-11-2004 | 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

im pretty sure he's staying with Kawasaki,

i sure hope he moves up to the 250's

the action will be amazing.

Old 07-11-2004 | 07:26 PM
US Army lifer

Bubba and Kawasaki have been tight-lipped about his contract negotiations. To answer the question, yes, he will be on a 250 next year. The AMA will not allow him to ride the 125s next year because he has pointed-out of the class. What color he will ride is yet to be seen. Rumor has it that Honda has been trying to lure him away from Kawasaki. As for now, their go-to guy is Kevin Windham. Don't count him out, either. He is blindingly fast and deceptively smooth. I had the opportunity to sit in on a factory test session when he was riding for Suzuki, and the guy is just fast. Fast, fast, fast. Trouble is, Ricky and Bubba are faster at the moment. Windham tends to get ahead of himself mentally, and that affects his performance. Personally, I feel Honda gave Ricky the cold shoulder to make room for their newest protoge, Mike Alessi. He will be on a factory Honda next year (most likely a CRF250). When someone comes in on the bottom, room must be made at the top, regardless of how much money you have.

Not to call you out Fourlix, but have you ridden a new bike, especially an RM? They corner awesome. Just look at Bubba's corner speed on the KX125 (a bike not known for cornering). He changes direction very quickly, whether squaring the corner or railing the berm. True, the triple clamps are different with works-style offset and trail, but the chassis is basically stock. The further you lean a new bike over and the harder you push it into a corner, the faster it will go. This goes without saying that correct body positioning and throttle control are essential (weight the outside peg, chin up, elbows out, no wheelspin, etc.) Being able to lean the bike over makes the weight transfer plant the tires straight down into the dirt (on a bike) as opposed to causing excessive body roll (on a quad). I won't get into the engineering of suspensions, but the difference between how a bike transfers weight around its roll center is totally different from a quad, making them impossible to compare.