Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Some z400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some z400 questions

Hey guys, just wanted to ask some z400 questions here. I was thinking about maybe picking one up and wanted to hear from you since the bike has been out quite a while. Lately I've been riding my raptor but after riding it for a while, i dont think ill be keeping it for much longer. It just doesnt feel right to me, a little off on the ergonomics and the reliability is in question. To be honest I had a 400ex before and the handling on it was so awesome in comparison to the raptor, i miss that bike but i hear the z400 is better plus the reverse option is quite a plus. I was going to go ahead and do a 416 mod to a 400ex, but ive ridden them enough and want to try out something new like the z400. Anyways, I was checking out the z400's on here and was wondering how they compare with the raptor after some mods and such? I do a ton of railroad track riding, lots of trails, lots of open spaces and hills. My buds have predators and heavily modified 400ex's. I am curious on how the z400 would compare to these machines, i definetely dont want to be getting smoked, i'd be willing to put about 800 into mods on the bike but im interested in both the before and after mod opinions. Anyways, give me a fair comparison if you can, thanks a lot.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

THE z RESPONDS TO MODS MUCH BETTER THAN THE 400 EX(OOPS CAPS)i would defenetly go with the Z.if you mod a raptor,it will have more ***** but it still will not feel right.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 04 z400 and love it just pipe and jet it and good air filter and u will be set.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the responses. Im curious as to how it will compare with the raptor once the z has some mods to it. The thing i dont like about the raptor is the tall gearing and the handling, it just doesnt comare to my old 400ex. If the z400 is better, which i hear its even a bit faster, I'd like to see what i'd be able to do with it to make it very quick. I want the gear ratio's to be proper in which that i can shoot up some hills without needing to be ***** out like on a raptor. These are just a few things, but like i said any help is appreciated! Whats the best mods for this z400 to get it really crankin?

Old 08-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Range Rover

The Z is close to the Raptor stock. With a pipe i'd imagine you'd be able to take a stock Raptor pretty easily.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey dude! i also just got a 04 z400 LE. I love that beast. first of all my 2 bro's in law have a raptor 660 and a kawasaki vforce 700, and their all great quads but they all have their ups and downs, what i love about my z, is its more stable then a raptor, it has lots of *****!!, i mean i beat my bro's v force in drag racing 5 times in a row, both stock quads. i cant beat the raptor though as far as speed goes, but the z shifts alot smoother, and it feels right to sit on a z. it doesint feel so tippy as a raptor does and not as freakischly heavy as a z does. check out this page and youl find some real good comparison of the z and the raptor. http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=173

Old 08-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ment, it doesint feel as heavy as a V FORCE does sorry, misspelt myself

Old 08-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have a stock 03 z400 and love it. My brother has a stock motor 02 raptor with 2" dura blue axle's to help stability. Out of the hole on hard pack or gravel road I take him til about middle of fourth gear, and fifth he'll pull away. But i weigh about a buck more than him too. The raptor has better gearing for top end. Our buddy has a ported,polished,cam and piped '02 raptor stock gears. He just pulls and pulls on the mid and top end. To me it came down to $$$$ for the fun. I've only had one problem with mine, dirt got in the gas tank and into the carb. There's no fuel filter on them stock. I just put a small motorcycle fuel filter between the fuel valve and carb. No prob since. I watch the paper and autoswappers and there is some great deals on hardly used z-400's. You should be able to find a great used one for about $4100 if your not in a rush.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Z400 great quad. My buddy has a 400ex blew it away the first day I got it
his was already piped and jetted.
Get a good pipe and have it rejetted and you will notice the difference
good luck with it

Speed cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 08-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies! I have no problem putting some money into the bike, a pipe and jetting is fine with me, but i think that sooner than later im going to want to put a big bore kit into it as well. Since some of the kits have been out for a while, which one seems to be doing the best? I'd still want the bike to be reliable of course, im not going on the mx track or anything, but i want the power to be there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Some z400 questions