Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

My Eiger is sputtering ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Eiger is sputtering ?

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem. My 2 year old Eiger 4X4 Auto has run perfectly until this past weekend. Now it runs pretty good while the choke is full on but performance is down and top speed is also, only 35 - 40 mph. After it warms and choke is turned off it won't idle, spits and sputters like crazy and generally runs like crap. If the choke is turned back on (warm engine) it stops sputtering and runs pretty smooth but top end is way down.

I checked air filter and spark plug, both looked fine. Also checked fuel flow to carb and looked good. It has about 900 easy miles on it. Never been overly mudded or wet. I'm waiting for a factory service manual so I can check valves and suck but wondered if anyone has experienced any of these conditions??

Thanks for your time!

Jeff,

Old 09-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I have, your carb is dirty, you will need to take it apart and clean it out remove all the jets and blow them and the passage ways out with carb cleaner and air.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Range Rover

Same thing happened to my older brother once. Turned out a tiny piece of dirt or something got into the carb. Once it was cleaned out he was all good to go.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies! A dirty carb sounds possible, but it's so clean on the outside [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'll get out my hammer, torch and duct tape and open that carb up! The carb is the thing between the air filter and that cylinder thingy right?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the help!
Jeff,

Old 09-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

I had that problem also, but my carb wasn't dirty. One thing to check, does it do it with fuel valve in pri or reserve. The eiger has a high fuel pick-up, even though it looks like you have enough fuel in tank the fuel level is sitting below pick-up.
Also, besides carb, there two cylindrical filter screens in fuel tank, on for reserve , one for ON, those could be a little clogged.
Disconnect two bolts on fuel(valve) petcock and pull petcock out, that will expose filters.
And if all else fails take float bowl off carb and clean it out.

Keep Riding!!

Old 09-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input eigerbever. I did try the prime and reserve fuel settings with same results. Also pulled the fuel valve off and it was clean as a whistle. Assuming whistles are clean.... I'll clean up the carb this weekend and hope that's it.

I have 4 friends with a total of 7 polaris's and one thing I really like about both of my suzies is that they are quite easy to dissasemble and work on. Much more so than any of the polaris's. Takes them about an hour and a half just to get the spark plug out. And it seems they are working on them after every outing. This is the first problem I've had with either of my machines in almost 2 years of riding!

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff,

Old 09-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

Sorry that didnt work, it is probably something simple like gunk in carb . one other think to check, check vacuum/vent hose under your seat , it should be near aft side of tank near fwd part of air box. Mine was kinked, causing stalls and sputter.

I too, like how easy the Eiger is to work on. Although my wife has fell in love with Eiger and I've been relegated to riding her Ozark. Solution: get another Eiger , or upgrade to Vinson or Twin Peaks.$$$$$

Old 09-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

There might be a slim chance the gas tank vent tube is blocked or clogged. I've read posts where folks had similar symptoms that you described. Turned out their tank vent tube was clogged or crimped. It's an easy thing to check and may save you some work.

Mark

Old 09-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I knoe I periodicly clean mine out.