Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 K&N Filter Question(s)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 K&N Filter Question(s)...

That K&N is the one that I bought at ALBA for my Z400. It is fairly easy to install and it fits quite snug onto the airbox. It is a little difficult to drill the proper holes to mount it though. The ALBA kit comes with the mounting bracket (plastic) and the screws, the only thing you have to do is drill the holes in the airbox! This could pose to be a problem if you do not have a drill that can drill at a 90 degree angle! I happen to have an adapter for my drill that does this. Otherwise, you have to remove the whole airbox(something to think about)! Then just slip the ring over the filter and put the filter over the adapter and lube and your all set! I would say all in all about a 20-30 minute install (with all the proper tools).

As far as problems mine has been flawless. Easy to remove and clean and comes with the dust cover. That thing is a pain(the dust cover but thats cus it fits snug)!

ALBA's has an instruction manual from K&N (1 piece of paper) to help with the install. Not the best but it is pretty mindless and all the pieces are there for you. ALBA recommends a 165 main jet when you get the K&N filter! Don't forget to add that if you don't have one!

Good luck

Old 10-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LTZ400guy
That K&N is the one that I bought at ALBA for my Z400. It is fairly easy to install and it fits quite snug onto the airbox. It is a little difficult to drill the proper holes to mount it though. The ALBA kit comes with the mounting bracket (plastic) and the screws, the only thing you have to do is drill the holes in the airbox! This could pose to be a problem if you do not have a drill that can drill at a 90 degree angle! I happen to have an adapter for my drill that does this. Otherwise, you have to remove the whole airbox(something to think about)! Then just slip the ring over the filter and put the filter over the adapter and lube and your all set! I would say all in all about a 20-30 minute install (with all the proper tools).

As far as problems mine has been flawless. Easy to remove and clean and comes with the dust cover. That thing is a pain(the dust cover but thats cus it fits snug)!

ALBA's has an instruction manual from K&N (1 piece of paper) to help with the install. Not the best but it is pretty mindless and all the pieces are there for you. ALBA recommends a 165 main jet when you get the K&N filter! Don't forget to add that if you don't have one!

Good luck

Awesome! Thanks for the information!

So you bought the Alba K&N kit for $64.99? (Plastic Adapter?)

I know the Alba K&N with Billet Adapter is $88.95

(How hard is it to remove the air box? Should be pretty easy no?)

Old 10-04-2004, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

[/quote]Awesome! Thanks for the information!

So you bought the Alba K&N kit for $64.99? (Plastic Adapter?)

I know the Alba K&N with Billet Adapter is $88.95

(How hard is it to remove the air box? Should be pretty easy no?)[/quote]

Yes, I bought the AIBA K&N kit with the plastic adapter, works great and is easy to install. I am not sure about the Billet one, the guy in the service center of ALBA helped me out and I really don't think there is much difference between the two. I live near the ALBA shop and they are great guys there, they know there stuff! He suggests the 165 main jet when you do it so if you order online order one of those two or the dyna-jet kit.

The airbox is a bit more labor intensive. Put it this way, I asked/looked around to make sure I had the drill adapter before atempting the removal of the airbox. It depends how much you want to remove. It is in a kind of ackward place. I know that you would probably have to remove the back plastics! So, I said forget it, I didn't want to dive into something that intense.

Everything else is super easy!

Old 10-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well that's good information to know!

I just bought a service manual, so i will check with to find out what all is involved for sure, if it does require all that to remove the airbox, then i will be looking for a 90 degree adapter for my Drill.

Any idea what those cost?

How hard is it to change the Jetting? This is my first ATV and i have only had it about 1 month now. I was thinking of waiting untill i got my Pipe and install both the pipe, and K&N filter at the same time, then taking it to the dealer to have them jet it and tune it up.

Thanks for the help.

-ThaChad

Old 10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThaChad
I just bought a service manual, so i will check with to find out what all is involved for sure, if it does require all that to remove the airbox, then i will be looking for a 90 degree adapter for my Drill.

Any idea what those cost?

How hard is it to change the Jetting? This is my first ATV and i have only had it about 1 month now. I was thinking of waiting untill i got my Pipe and install both the pipe, and K&N filter at the same time, then taking it to the dealer to have them jet it and tune it up.
Hey, in that service manual does it give torque values for the wheels? I have heard 47ft. lbs.(front and 99ft. lbs. (rear)

Here are a bunch for sale on Ebay, might give you a good starting point
Right Angle Drills

Rejetting is actually easy! But you have to make sure that there is no fuel. There are a whole bunch of how too's out there. Here is Alba's Rejetting

Taking it to a dealer might be a good option, but I would say do it yourself to understand how everything works and get familiar with everything. Nothing is more fun than taking a bike apart for a day! And you can say that you did it in the end! props!

All of the goodies will require different jet settings. That is where the Dyna-jet would come in handy. It all depends on a multitude of factors: altitude, air filter box on/off, pipe, exhaust, etc... You might as well get used to changing the jet yourself just for habit and familiarity. The only thing that a dealer might do is use a chart to go by. You are going to be able to tell if your bike is running lean or rich! And experience will be a true tale on that!

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LTZ400guy

Hey, in that service manual does it give torque values for the wheels? I have heard 47ft. lbs.(front and 99ft. lbs. (rear)

Taking it to a dealer might be a good option, but I would say do it yourself to understand how everything works and get familiar with everything. Nothing is more fun than taking a bike apart for a day! And you can say that you did it in the end! props!

I had to order the service manual, as soon as i get it, i will let you know what it says for the torque values.. I should be getting it either tomarrow (Tueday), or Wed.

Nothing is more fun then taking it apart, but nothing is worse then messing it up!

-ThaChad