Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Aftermarket Pipe's

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 Aftermarket Pipe's

Hi All,

I have an '04 Z400 that is just over 1 month old, I am looking to add a pipe to it for the extra power.

This last weekend i went to the local off-road riding park, and heard a few different exhaust systems, though none on the Z400.

I saw a 700cc Kawi that had Dual HMF Pipe's (That was pretty cool), and despite what i've heard about HMF being loud, it didn't seem all that loud. But i don't know if havind Dual pipe's made a difference, and or the engine itself.

I also heard a Pro Circuit T-4 pipe on a Yamaha YFZ-450, that pipe was a little loud, but not the loudest i heard..

I heard a Yoshimura Pro pipe running out on the MX track, but i don't know what bike it was on, it was pretty loud, but i am sure it didn't have the Inserts Yoshimura makes to quite the pipe down..

I am considering the HMF pipe, or the Yoshimura pipe..

I havent had the pleasure of hearing either one of them on a Z400 or even a 400cc bike for that matter...

Does anyone have some recording's of either of these pipes, (Especially the Yoshi pipe with the different inserts).?

Does anyone have experience with both of these pipes?

I am really stuck on which pipe to get because i don't want to have to buy 4 different pipes to find the one i like. There were alot of ATV's there that had REALLY loud pipes... so loud that they were on the other size of the park and you could hear them... WAY to loud. I want a realitively quite pipe, i don't mind it being a little louder, but i don't want something that makes the bike uncomfortable to drive because it is soo loud..

Please share your input and experiences with these pipes.... I know everyone has opinions on 50 different pipes, but i really would apperciate only input from people with actual experience with these pipes, because hear say will not help..

Thanks!

ThaChad

Old 10-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are dozens of posts on the best pipe for the z and for different applications. Do a search and you will have all the info you need.

And dont limit yourself to pipes you have seen. Nor do you want to guage your decisions on the performance you saw on another bike. The same pipe doesnt have an equal impact from one machine to another.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

i have the hmf nice pipe ...

Old 10-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

i was at a friends motorcross track this weekend and got to hear several pipes

the duncan racing was super loud on a pretty much stock Z400
CT racing was alot quieter....barely louder then stock
FMF Quietcore pipe was pretty quiet and had good sound to it
Yoshi was semi loud but had a nice sound to it

Old 10-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Cool, thanks for the info...

droz: Was the yoshi pipe the standard pipe, or did it have any of the TEC inserts installed?

chazekxt: Any possibility you could make a recording of the HMF pipe?

maddog56: Thanks for the input, I have read pretty much every post about pipe's there is, I am not asking which pipe is the best, i am asking for poeple with experience with 2 speciffic pipes, and the noise level they output.. According to people's opinions, as well as some reviews the HMF pipe is loud, and it may be, but the Kawi 700cc bike i saw, had Dual HMF's and it was fairly quite to what i was expecting to hear. Also i am not basing the performance of these pipe off another machine, i am asking if the noice level would be the same from 1 bike to another, or if the sound level would be different on a different bike..

Please keep up the input!

Thanks!

ThaChad

Old 10-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, dont worry about the loudness it doesnt mean $h!T jsut get out before the po po be runnin a chase on u
------------

Vinny 05

Old 10-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThaChad

droz: Was the yoshi pipe the standard pipe, or did it have any of the TEC inserts installed?

maddog56: Thanks for the input, I have read pretty much every post about pipe's there is, I am not asking which pipe is the best, i am asking for poeple with experience with 2 speciffic pipes, and the noise level they output.. According to people's opinions, as well as some reviews the HMF pipe is loud, and it may be, but the Kawi 700cc bike i saw, had Dual HMF's and it was fairly quite to what i was expecting to hear. Also i am not basing the performance of these pipe off another machine, i am asking if the noice level would be the same from 1 bike to another, or if the sound level would be different on a different bike..

Thanks!

ThaChad
ok ThaChad,

I don't know if we have talked before but here is a good website to get some of your opinions from: Z400 pipe shootout

Old 10-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

the hmf is like 98 db s i dont know about a recording of it.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

My friend has the Yoshimura comp system. He is not running a spark arrestor or quiet core. It is way loud!! If you're standing behind him when he lets it rip you will never make that mistake again. He also has a 450 kit but it didn't make that much of a difference in sound compared to when his motor was stock. Also what kind of riding are you going to be doing? From what i've heard and read the Yoshimura is more of a top end pipe.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LTZ400guy
Originally posted by: ThaChad

Thanks!

ThaChad
ok ThaChad,

I don't know if we have talked before but here is a good website to get some of your opinions from: Z400 pipe shootout
I have read that article only about 50 or so times..

The problem is that a DBi level doesn't tell me what the pipe sounds like... If i tell you my car horn is 105dbi, are you going to have a clue what my car horn sounds like? Just because you know the DB level doesn't tell you how loud the pipe sounds, different tone can change the db level.. So that doesn't help me much..

I am actually looking for some real life experience here, someone who has ridden a bike with one of the pipes, or like myself was at a track and was able to hear the pipe.. Most would agree on the pipes that are too loud to enjoy riding.. The pipes that you can hear from a mile away.

Pipes that are too loud to hear another rider talking whom is right next to you, is too loud.

-ThaChad

Quick Reply: Z400 Aftermarket Pipe's