Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Severe Wheel Problem: Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe Wheel Problem: Need advice

I have a Suzuki LTZ400 and I am running Kenda Sand Gecko's with Douglas Blue Labels. Well, the first time out with the new tires on sand and they bored a pretty good cresent moon into the New(mind you) rims! I have been told many numerous things. A guy at Alba said that I should just turn the lug nuts around (which I did in the first place) and put a washer in between the nut and the rim (will try this out this weekend). Does anyone have any advice that could help me with this situation, otherwise these blue labels are a waste of my money!!!!!

HELP,
Thanks in advance LTZ

Old 10-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

LTZ

I had the same concern / question when I bought my wheels & tires from Rocky Mountain ATV. From the first install, I have mounted the wheels with the cone side of the lug nut outward and have not had any issues with damage to the wheel or studs.

If the hole in the rim is still in good shape, a washer should do the trick. Just be sure to torque the lug nuts good (that may be the source of the problem).

If the wheels have some damage to the holes (i.e. holes are elongated or slotted) then you may have to regroup. If you have some basic power tools and spare hardware, you can try to drill oversized holes in the wheels and create a stepped washer like the stock wheels use. You could use copper or stainless tubing to sleeve over the studs (to take up the slack of the oversized hole and spread the load on the wheel material) and put a washer on top, between the nuts and wheel.

Reply if I'm coming through broken and stupid. I'll try to clarify.

Otherwise you may have to take them to a shop and see if repair cost outrun replacement cost.

Old 10-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds good,
I turned the lugs around and they still did it!! The problem in the first place was the damn Suzuki guy told me to torque the backs to 99ft lbs! I think that was bull! I am going to put the washers on and tighten till I cannot tighten no more!

Old 10-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

dude the torque specs on my little Z is only 36 pound feet! whoa thats what I call over-torqueing how did it not strip the studs?

Old 10-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

you can buy new lug nuts 10mm flats that are chrome and they look nice
rockymountainatv.com has them for $1 each
thats what I did and no more problems