Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Puttin Zilla away for the winter???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puttin Zilla away for the winter???

Hey, im putting my quadzilla away for the winter over thanksgiving later this month and I was wondering if I am missing anything here. I was planning on changing the gearcase oil for fresh oil, putting fuel stabilizer in a full tank and then fogging it and covering it in the barn. it will be below freezing where It will be for the winter but it is out of the elements other then dust. Should I plug the ecaust and seal over the airbox? anything else I should do that im missing?

Also, on mac dizzy somebody said I should drain my tank for the winter then when I asked why I got no response, I havent been very satisfied with it since i signed up but thats another story. sooo, should i drain my tank. i figured i would have to worry about moisture buildup with an empty tank out in the cold all winter with snow and what not.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2004, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

if you drain all the fuel out of the carb and tank you will have a less chance of your carb gettin all gum'd up from the fuel sittin in there, even with the stabilizer in there im sure it would still gum up. I would definitely get all the fuel out of it and change the oil.

Old 10-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

if i were you to be safe id plug up the exhaust and airbox...i donno are mice active at those temperatures?...just to be safe id do it...dont want anything getting in there

Old 11-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

I guess i will drain it. I dont have to worry about condensation building up in the carb and tank?

Old 11-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

In my GSXR manual it says to fill the crank case right full to the filler hole, and to leave the tank full, too. I think its more important to leave the tank full on the bike because its metal and condensation could rust it, but that wouldn't be a problem on the plastic LT tank. Filling the cases right full will also keep moisture out of your gears and other innards, plus you'll remember to change the fluid come next season. I say rejet and run it!!!

Old 11-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Take off wheels and tires and put it on blocks

Old 11-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

I would also drain the cooling system to prevent ice from cracking your motor.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

umm...if you use antifreeze you shouldnt have to worry about that?? i would keep the coolant system full...i never thought about filling the crank case full but from what you said it sounds like a good idea as long as you remember to change it. Also i would definitely plug up your intake and exhaust...i saw a picture on a website that had kibbles and bits in the engine because a cat got in the airbox and must have cut the air filter and put it in there...never know what could happen.