Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Introducing the wife to my 4 wheeler.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004 | 12:06 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Introducing the wife to my 4 wheeler.

Bought my Ozark a year ago and the wife had only driven it in a field and only for about 25 yards and back. I have hauled her around on it a little but that's the extent of her experience with it. She decided that she would like to ride more so we bought her a helmet 1st.

Took her out yesterday hauled her around some of the usual trails so she could see the lay of the land. Then I exited the 4 wheeler and explained again how to shift, stop, start etc.

We have one curvy little track that is probably about 200 yards long. She took it around that a couple of times then I had her change direction for a couple of laps. Had her back it up and turn it around. She seemed to be enjoying herself. I noticed on the short little straight away that brought her back to me, her speed increased on each lap, just on the straight part. So I took her to a smooth straight about 300 yards long. Had her go to the end of it, stop, back up, turn around and then come back to me.

On her first return, she exclaimed that she finally got to 4th gear. I asked if she wanted to go again and the words were barely out of my mouth when she was rolling away.

Took her around other parts of the property and picked up the speed a little telling her in advance of small curves, "just lean with me". Of course I wasn't moving very fast, but wanted her to understand that as she gets more comfortable and increases speed, how she will need to handle curves etc.

I have only crashed 3 times in the year that I have owned it. All 3 times it was totally my fault. I wasn't hurt and neither was the 4 wheeler. But telling her what happened and how it happened has made her cautious, which I think is a good thing.

Going at this slowly but, looking forward to growing her interest in it. The kids are gone, we are in our early 40's and could have a blast the next few years. Told her last night that I might just have to put a bright yellow Ozark under the Christmas tree for her this year. She didn't say don't do it.

Old 11-01-2004 | 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Sign her up for a first rate safety class. Woman are not near as stubborn as us men and will glaldy listen to the advice of people who will teach them the proper way to ride.

Old 11-01-2004 | 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I can't get my wife on any of our quads. You'd think by her doing the bills and writting out the checks for the quad payments, she would at least want to try and get HER moneies worth.

Old 11-01-2004 | 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

once i find a cute chick that'll ride with me I'll marry her on the spot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2004 | 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

yeh i was hunting and just chilling in my stand bout 1 1/2 miles from cabin, where my ex g/f and her brother were still sleeping. about 10 am i hear a quad ripping through 4 of the 6 gears . i say im gonna choke her brother . i get back the ex says i want a quad just like yours i dont want the quadrunner 250 4 stroke anymore ... i said that was u wow!!!!

Old 11-02-2004 | 09:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I started the g/f out on the 250EX and Recon. She was a good rider, but pretty wild at first. After about 6 months she had a crash, and that sobered her up. Now she rides a lot more cautiously, and has graduated to the 400EX and Rancher. She does all the rides with me, except the really technical/rock crawling stuff.

What you want to do is give HER the Ozark, and YOU can take the opportunity to step up to something bigger!

Old 11-02-2004 | 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

lmao mojave u find one lemme know if shes got a sister. one big wedding on quads hahaha

Old 11-02-2004 | 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

My wife is now informing me after reading my earlier post, that if I don't shut it , we could always sell my z, ooooouch, so much for messing with her[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2004 | 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

lmao....this thread is funny, I dont no if I should show the wife or not hahaha.

This year I have been to 9 different places to Ride around MN & WI.

The wife did not come with 1 time,witch depending on how ya look @ it could be good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

But I wish she would.Its Even hard to get her to go puttin around @ the cabin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2004 | 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you have the right idea to move slowly. I speak from experience as I got on my first quad last year and after a couple of rides on the dunes, I fell in love with the sport (just purchased a new Z400 this week). However, I am an avid mountain biker so I like the thrill of picking a line, getting dirty or falling doesn't scare me and I am in my mid-40's (ouch)... Also, if she has a friend who likes to ride that always makes it fun - women like to do things in groups! We also have this competive side especially with keeping up with the "guys" so when I have a girlfriend to ride with, it's more relaxed instead of an all out "I have to prove myself" ride.

Keep encouraging her, she'll want to please you!

Wannabike

Quick Reply: Introducing the wife to my 4 wheeler.