Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KQ ADVERSE TERRAIN ABILITIES

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004 | 12:07 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default KQ ADVERSE TERRAIN ABILITIES

I have been openly critical of the KQ's lack of low end. This "problem" is also well documented. I don't mind calling a spade a spade. However, I have read on this forum and others, by writers who are painfully uneducated, that the KQ is less than adequate as a "mudder" or in adverse terrain. NOTHING could be further from the truth.

I've had significant experience of Prairie's, BF's, Grizzly's and a SP700 in the mud and deep water. The KQ is at least as good as the best, if not better. I tend to lean to the side of it being a tad better. No matter what you hear, especially in another forum from overly enthusiastic Polaris owners, the KQ will go ANYWHERE any other big bore will go.

Old 11-17-2004 | 08:18 AM
Range Rover

11/17/2004

Cam,

Want my opinion.. just check my photo gallery... I don't have much in the way of experiance on these things.. But I was going places nobody else in our trail gang wanted to try...

Only issue I ran into was finding that damn Belt case drain plug... LOL

Old 11-17-2004 | 08:32 AM
Trailblazer

Is the stock ground clearance on par with the other atvs of the same size, and do you consider it adequate for most purposes?

Old 11-17-2004 | 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

im only running a modded 500, and i go places that 700s wouldnt even dream of going- i never dont have enough power.(well i mean i could have more, but i really dont need it being i lift the frount all the time)

sunk 3 times- never got water in my belt tho, i thought it was the same system as the vinson???

official tow truck service of polaris sportsman 500 h.o with 28" mudzilla clutch kit, and lift.

v581

Old 11-17-2004 | 09:28 AM
Range Rover

Yorinda,

Clearance is more than up to par... And supsension travel is very good. I haven't measured up any of the other big bores but from looks alone they all look pretty comparable... And to directly answer your question, the clearance is more than adequate...

Vinson581,

I'm not famliar with the Vinson system so I can't say. The flooding of the Belt Case didn't stop me just cause some slipping. I have now learned two ways to clear the water, Tip it on it's but or pull the drain plug.. (Now that I have found it... LOL) Oh and so far I'm using the stock Dunlops and still haven't stuck it... heheheh Now if Suzuki will ever get that Winch package in I will be happy...

Later,

Hibrass

ps: Just for clarification... I'm a newbie to ATV's, so these are comments just based on my current experiance with a 05 KQ in my Photo gallery you can judge the terrain I'm riding in...

Old 11-17-2004 | 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also have to agree.I've been riding 3-4 wheelers since 1983 and the KQ does indeed have alot of power in its low range,in fact,from what I've personally witnessed,it will hold its own against any of the big bores in low range and diff lock.And it also seems to be well snorkled against the elements of water/debree in the deep stuff,something some of the other manufactures cant say is real good on their 4x4 model ATVs.

Old 11-17-2004 | 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

Where is the drain plug for the King quad. Is the opening behind the rear plastic that says IRS on it the vent for the belt.

Old 11-17-2004 | 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hibrass, I just recently purchased my new KQ. Can’t wait to test her out... I sold the Vinny and upgraded. I did like the Vinson, but it did lack the power that I need to ride with the Big Boys. I’m hoping the KQ will do just fine.. So far, i love the plush ride. As far as the Winch package goes, Did you order it from Your Suzuki dealer and not yet receive it or are you looking for one... This website has a decent package... and a cheaper mounting plate for the KQ. ----> KG accessories

Old 11-17-2004 | 01:14 PM
Range Rover

RedKing,

The plug is behind the right foot panel under the Skid plate... It is very hard to find but it is there.

ZigZilla,

I got the winch package thru Suzuki as a part of Suzuki fininancing... The shop is saying early December. I have to admitt I like the ride I have a lower back problem and so far I haven't had any problems staying on it for most of a day... In the meantime the quad and I will be going to WV at the end of this week and I will get a chance to try it in completely different terrain... :-)

More Later,

Hibrass

Old 11-17-2004 | 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

Do I have To remove the skid plate to get to the plug.
What color is the plug.
Is there anything I should look for to locate it.

Thanks HiBrass
For your help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: KQ ADVERSE TERRAIN ABILITIES