Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

new top end and zilla motor noise???????????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new top end and zilla motor noise???????????????

Yeah,the very outter edge.You need to have the dome reshaped to fit the dome of the bigger piston,or go with a thicker gasket wich will defeat the purpuse of trying to raise the compression.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

Well the mystery noise is still in the motor. This morning I removed the material needed from the head. At lunch I reassembled the top end and fired it up. The damn noise is still there. At this point the head and head gasket should be ruled out. I disconnect the ex. valve linkage arm and removed the gear assembly for it as well. I also removed the water pump cover and impeller and still the same noise. These components were only removed to try and eliminate some of the things that could be causing the noise. Unless someone comes up with a miracle answer, I guess I am going to remove the head and cylinder next and search for the prolem. If no luck there I am going to remove the motor from the frame and split the case. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

here's a copy of some tech tips for the zilla...here's a link to it http://www.off-road.com/dunes/suzukitech/tips.html

Engine leans out at high RPM, excessive vibration, bottom end noise, premature failure of crank seals, piston seizure.

All Suzuki LT500's will require this fix!

The crank bearing bosses expand at a different rate than the bearings allowing the crank bearings to become loose, thus cavitating the bosses. This leads to crank seal failure, sucking air into the motor leaning out your mixture and potentially causing your piston to seize. It can also cause primary drive gear failure.The 100% fix for this is to have your crank bearing bosses machined out and bronze bushings pressed in, the crank bearings are then pressed into the steel sleeves and voila! Your all set-forever!(The steel bushings expand faster than the steel bearing or the aluminum case, creating a tighter grip
as the temp increases.)

To determine if you need this fix, remove your flywheel side cover, grasp your flywheel and try to lift the bike/push down on the bike in a back and forth motion. If your flywheel has any perceptible movement whatsoever you gotta do it. the best spot for the repair is Tudors Performance. They guarantee the fix for a couple of years. Although I know of a couple dozen bikes they have done, besides four for for me with no reported failures. So you should be completely satisfied

Old 11-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, got home today after work and started working on the zilla again. Pulled the head and cylinder off and found some interesting results. It appears that I was not paying attention when deburing the ports on the cylinder after the bore & hone. I was so concered about paying close attention to carefully deburing the ports that the rings pass by that I didn't debur the bottom ports that the piston skirt pass by. It looks like the piston skirt may have been catching the sharp edge on the lower ports. There seems to be a distinctive wear pattern in that area as well. There wasn't really any wear patterns developing where the rings ride in the cylinder, only in the area just above the lower ports. Any thoughts on this?

Old 11-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

don't know

Old 11-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

where did you buy the new topend at??

Old 11-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ZillaRider87
where did you buy the new topend at??
I bought the gaskets and piston off ebay.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

I would take your motor out of the quad and take it to a pro and say you dont want to see it again until its perfect.thats what im going to do in about a month .i am in no way a 2 stroke engine pro,but i know a little,and one thing i have figured out is that guess work and trial and error assembly and disasembly is a waste of time and money-- and a severe drain on patience.I have had problems i tried to figure out for days,but the second my mechanic looked at hes like-"heres your problem and here is how to fix it",and then there was no more pulling my hair out.Im in no way trying to say you dont know what your doing butpeople sign here for advice and other people's two cents,and here is mine........................ btw my friends banshee was making a noise like yours and it ended up being a crank bearing

Old 11-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

you guys are stupid..did anyone think that it could be the valves[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

LOL...I hope you are kidding.
2 strokes don't have valves.

Quick Reply: new top end and zilla motor noise???????????????