Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

new Z400 or new predator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Z400 or new predator?

UUUmm..I totally disagree with the hype (myth) about the gap between 4-5th on the TLD..the DOHC makes up for it..besides..you ride at seventy MPH on the trails?..wow..your good! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...anyway I've never sat on a z-400..was looking at purchasing one until the TLD came along with reverse...and the seat is not as bad as magazines say..I rode and didnt have one problem..see if you can take an extened test ride on the TLD..then decide.

Old 12-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is coming from an open mind do to the fact I like em all, and ride with pretty much all of them.

As for what you want to get the best thing to do is ride them if possible and decide for yourself.

For reliability, I never used to like suki's, but the Z is a very good running reliable quad. The 03 and 04 Preds are definately not as reliable and have there issues. I don't know about the 05's as of now. It is true reliabilty has a lot to do with maintnance, but I can't believe how many things that have failed on 2 of my riding buddy's Preds.

IMO, if you want something great on trails and very versitile, go with the Z. It isn't the best at anything in particular, but it is good at everything. But if you want something a little different with more power, the pred is fun as well.

The only thing I don't understand is why everyone keeps saying the pred is a great trail quad when it was made for the track?

Old 12-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

next they will say the YFZ is great for trail riding when its made for racing

Old 12-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I read that the pred is for trail and not track. I saw my buddy beat a new Honda 450 on pavement sunday with his 05 TLD preddy. I like to jump and raise hell. but when I ride I ride for hours. So the new Z may be the better choice as an overall bike.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

look in the polaris forum...find a thread titled Dirt Wheels..there is a guy on there called ModQuad...he knows his stuff..he doesnt come around that much but when he does he has great info.

He is part of the test team over at ATV magazine...anyway see what he says about the TLD...not just me that owns one.

Seriosly I rode my TLD for 3+ hours this past sunday on the trails..happy to report I'm not sore at all..and along with bad knees and an aching back, neither bother me at all after riding

I wont bash another brand of quad..ever..but I will let anyone know my past experience!

Old 12-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

heres the link to the thread..

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/429264.cfm

Old 12-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock for stock , i think i would have to go with the pred tld. You get the most for the money, espeically with Fox racing shocks and Reverse. The Z is a damn good quad though, When i was at stock bore with mods i never lost to a pred, except for 1. But those werent 05's tlds.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have both a 03 Z400 and an 05 Predator. I like both quads but they have their good and bad.

Z400: The Good points:
Plenty of power (however, not as fast or powerful as the Predator)
Very comfortable and easy to ride.
Has been very reliable.
Very good fit and finish quality.

The Bad:
Handles well but does not steer as well as the predator.
No zerk fittings, disassembly required for maintenance.
Marginal frame strength (no cracks yet but paint cracking at stress points. Needed to install brace)

I only have a few hours ( less that 10) on my 05 Predator and so far love it. As with all things there are good points and bad points so... here is what I can tell you:

The Predator Good points:
Very powerful and fast.
Handles good, very stable on trails, front end stays planted and flat, rear will break loose and slide predictably.
Great suspension.
Looks good over all.
Built to be strong and easy to maintain (Grease fittings where needed).

The bad points:
Bad (Ugly) finish on the engine (Barrel and head).
Electrical wiring is loose and looks unfinished.
Not as easy to ride as other quads ( I.E. Z400, LT250R) more effort required to ride trails. I haven't been able to figure out why but I have mussel soreness (Arms and shoulders) after riding the Predator.

Nothing is perfect and there will always be some compromises and room for improvement.

My suggestion to Polaris would be work on Engine finish and wiring quality.

My suggestion to Suzuki would be:
Better Shocks (05's have).
Stronger frame.
install zerk fittings.

Overall I am very happy with both quads.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lets not forget the much stronger swingarm...an wider stance than a Z and Raptor..steel braided brake lines also on the TLD..and a limited lifetime warranty on the swingarm and chain

but I still havent figured out how they could come with a lifetime warranty on a chain?

the salesman told me that the warranty on the chain is against manufactuer defects.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Im gonna vote for the Z400 on this one. my buddy has a white Z400 I've ridden multiple times and it really is a great trail quad. ive only ridden it on powerlines and in the woods but the gears are long and it has plenty of power through the whole gear which is really what you want in a 4 stroke trial quad. I've only ridden it when it was stock and it had plenty of power. Really I think the best all around sports ATV you can find, cant go wrong with it. It did supprisingly well in some limited traction conditions like snow as well

Quick Reply: new Z400 or new predator?