Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

new Z400 or new predator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Z400 or new predator?

I've rode a TLD preddy and I like it. I read on the new Z400 and it sounds really great as well. can you guys tell me the pros and cons of the Z400 vs the preddy? I am undecided on this. will a Z keep up?

Old 12-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

it would be a tough one for me, but id prolly get another predator, but ive never ridden an 05 z. i raced an 03 with my predator and it actuially got me off the line cause i came up, but i passed it in 4th and after i held it in 5th for a lil i beat it by atleast 4-5 lengths. the z is more comfortable whereas the pred is more aggressive. that should help

Old 12-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

I would also go with the preddy, it's probaly the best trail quad right one, since they change the shocks now, the z has also new shocks and it handles almost or better than the preddy, the advantage the predator has is the power, acceleration and faster. The bad side of the predator assuming you are getting the TLE is the close gear ratio, they mess up in the gap it has in 4-5 gear, also if you are a trail rider you are going to have to shifh alot because the gears are short, though it has some good acceleration comparable to the one of the new 450's. Also the preddy may not responde to well at mods (TLD), but still Ill get the preddy, seems that they don't have major problems, more power.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I asked my cycle shop owner, Dave, this question last summer. His buddy owns a Predator, but he and his mechanic own 3 z400's between them. Dave said the Predator shocks aren't much better than the stock z400's, and that was before the Z's became adjustable. The predator is a whole lot heavier, and has a history of being unreliable. So bad, in fact, that the local Suzuki dealer used to carry Polaris atv's, but quit because they had more repairs than their shop could hold, so they discontinued them.

The most recent Dirt Wheels had a comparison of the pred and raptor. Basically, they said that if you'll never buy an aftermarket part, then go with the pred...it comes with them already. They also said that if you upgrade the raptor, it would win. The raptors are heavy, and top heavy at that. I was actually going to get a pair at the Yamaha dealer (I own 2 Yamaha's) when the salesman tried to switch me over to the Predator. (Turns out they get a bigger kickback with them.) That's when I called Dave.

You can't go wrong with a z400. It has more hop up parts available than the Polaris (and you get more out of the parts), it's wider than the Raptor (stock) for better handling, similar in speed to both (but will win the race with a cheap 440 kit and pipe), a lot lower center of gravity than the Raptor, and better technology. Polaris even quit marketing to the MX crowd, because it did so poorly--they are sticking with the trail marketing now.

You'll probably like whatever you buy (they'll all be fun), but for electric start & reverse, I'd get another z400. So would Doug Gust.

CG

Old 12-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

I have a friend that owns a Polaris/Suzuki/Yamaha dealership and he says the same thing. Polaris makes a decent quad but they are still not up to the level of Suzuki/Yamaha and in the long run Polaris is not as reliable. Polaris does stand behind their products so you can't go wrong with either but chances are the Pred will be spending more time at the dealer than being ridden.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Right now I'm in the market for a new quad and I didn't even consider the Z400. It's between the Pred, YFZ or Raptor.

Between the Z400 and the Predator, I'd take the Predator hands down as a trail quad. For $300 more you can get some better shocks but I'm probly going to go for the Standard Pred. For what it comes with I think there is no comparison.

Keep in mind, that the DW comparison was between the Raptor and the Pred. The Raptor isn't as crazy as it could be straight from the factory. So, in comparison to the Predator, the Raptor would respond to mods better! Well no sh8! That has nothing to do with the Z vs. the Pred.

As far as reliability goes, I don't listen to biased opinions. The Pred will be just as reliable as the Z. You can't go wrong with either.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly what I was going to say, was up with the raptor, it's between the Z and the preddy. But I would go with either predator, reliability is measured on how much you pay attetion to the quad, like for example changing the oil, anti freeze, spark plug and adjusting the valves once in a while. You wont go wrong with one of these, thay are both great quads.

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't like the 4 - 5 gap in the TLD or the 1 - 2 gap on the std. The shocks are nice on the tld though and while ridin the tlds, it did seem to run out of revs rather quickly. I ride mostly trails and sandy riverbeds and unfortunately lots of whoops. I rode a 01 raptor but my hands started goin numb from all the vibration on the bars. the owner complains about that too. The raptors exhaust was hot on the leg. The seats on the preddy aren't the most confortable. I will try to find someone with a new Z so I can test ride. About 2 times a year I will also be using it on technical rocky trails too ( tellico ). I don't want a utility. Maybe I'm just a weenie but for 6K I'd like to be satisfied with what I get. I appreciate you guys helping me on this. Please keep em coming.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you make sure you test drive a Z, don't expect it to be more power tahn the predator, but it may handle better and more comfortable.

Old 12-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

Ive had my Z400 since march and I love it. Its not as powerful as a raptor and defintly not as fast. But ive always had bad luck with Polaris fourwheelers. And I havn't had one problem with my Z. Exept me screwing up minor things like bolts that snap. But The new 05 Preds have reverse now. But the shocks arn't that good(so Ive heard) And the TLD has better shocks and the gear ratios are messed up. And the predators have a weird lump in the seat and the Z's have a really cumfy seat for long rides. You can't go wrong with a Z, and if you want more power they can be pretty sick with some money dumped into them. But a Pred will be good to. Just treat it good I soppose.

Quick Reply: new Z400 or new predator?