Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

mud machine, which to buy? KQ or Vinson ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004 | 11:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default mud machine, which to buy? KQ or Vinson ?

I would get the KQ. I have an 03 Vinson 5speed with alot of mods and it does great in the mud for a sra, and is a blast on the trails to, but I'll be picking up a KQ this week. It handles great,and has good power, and actually weighs less than the vinson. 602 vs. 604. The KQ is actually pretty compact feelng for a big bore. Compared to a Kodiak 450 it only weighs 11lbs. more but has 274 more cc's. I'd bet this makes up for 11lbs.

Old 12-05-2004 | 05:13 PM
|
Trailblazer

Vinson581: what do you mean by CV failure ? what's "CV" ? and I just looked at your pictures, damn, these are great tires, you probably get good traction with these!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2004 | 05:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Pepete
Vinson581: what do you mean by CV failure ? what's "CV" ? and I just looked at your pictures, damn, these are great tires, you probably get good traction with these!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
he is talking about the constant velocity joints that are part of the axles

those kits put more wear and tear on the driveline

Old 12-05-2004 | 05:49 PM
|
Trailblazer

well, thanks for the fast replies, and for the info about "CV" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm still open for more opinions in my Kingquad VS Vinson deal .... both 2005 models of course

And for the price difference between both, would it be better to buy the vinson and put big bad tires and/or some engine mods on it ? or just go with a stock Kingquad ?

Old 12-05-2004 | 07:35 PM
Range Rover

Pepete,

You seem to be getting some good advice... As far as buying a Vinson and spending the difference on tires and locker is not a bad idea. But you are not going to buy any new quad and not spend money on upgrades even if you get a KQ. LOL That is just the nature of the game... :-)

Whatever you get have fun!

Hibrass

BTW: I bought a KingQuad...

Seemed like a good idea at the time... And still is!

Old 12-07-2004 | 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Buy the KINGQUAD you will not be dissapointed. It will go anywhere you want to go in any conditions. Mine has over 300 miles on it and I have found very few times that I even needed 4 wheel drive and I haven't had to use the locker yet! If you have ever ridden in West Virginia where I am then you will know that's pretty impressive. The Vinson is one of the best 4x4 ATV's that Suzuki has ever made, but the KING is the best 4x4 ATV Suzuki has ever made, it beats the Vinson in every catagory.

Old 12-08-2004 | 01:12 AM
|
Trailblazer

Well, I just went for a testdrive at the Suzuki retailer near me, and let me tell you I was impressed by the KingQuad ... It can move alot! and its light for the power it has, really! I also tested a Vinson, same good ride feeling, just a bit more hesitation when you floor it, and I guess 700 CC isn't there for nothing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] There's no replacement for displacement ! Well, now I have a good idea of the machines, and I'd like to know if its possible to put big bad tires on the King, if so, what kind of performance should I be capable of ?

thanks again!

Old 12-08-2004 | 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

i know it wasnt one of your options but my Arctic cat 650 has gone threw some mud with its stock 26 inch tires that many of buddys couldnt go threw. I think stock for stock, the only quad that could possibly keep up with my machine in the mud would be the new polaris 800 ( it also has 26inch tires,more weight, but not as much ground clearance).

Old 12-08-2004 | 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

I like my KQ but if I had to buy a pure utilty mudder and could only afford one machine I would pick my Polaris 700 EFI over the KG. My advice to you is to buy what you like, not what your friends like or own. I don't think you need 700 cc's. The advice about buying the less expensive 500 and adding what you needed for it seemed a good choice and saves you money in the long run. I think the KQ needs another $400 in skid protection and new tires and wheels to be a great mudder.

Old 12-08-2004 | 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

I enjoy my Vinson greatly, but it is not the ideal mud machine. It lacks a locker and the tires are too tame for mud. It has plenty of power to pull through mud but not the parts to grab and move in the stuff. I suspect the KQ will have the same issue with tires. Having a locker built in will certainly help. As was stated previously, any machine you buy will need to be modified to be a great mudder. None of the machines come from the manufacturer for full mud capabilities. I will defer to others on the type of suspension (IRS or swingbar) that is best. IMO a swingbar like the Vinson should hold up better over time because it is a stronger and less complicated system than the IRS. IRS has more parts, meaning more opportunity for something to break. IRS does give better ground clearance at the center of the axle, but really it is the tire clearance and performance that matters more.

In evaluating your cost options, I would neutral out tires and rims, because you will need to buy them for any machine. You can get a Detroit Gearless Locker for the Vinson for $325 from Highlifter.com. The mud protection on the Vinson is top notch. I seldom get completely covered like can happen on other machines. I would think the EFI is a big advantage for the KQ, because it should perform more consistently than a carb.

The last post is probably the best, buy what you like and can afford. Any of today's machines will perform well over time. I would handicap the very heavy machines like the Polaris or Artic Cat, because you start at a disadvantage with all of the extra weight. Check the specs closely. 600 pounds is a lot better than 700+.

Quick Reply: mud machine, which to buy? KQ or Vinson ?