Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

mud machine, which to buy? KQ or Vinson ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mud machine, which to buy? KQ or Vinson ?

Snowwolfe,

I see that you own a Kingquad as well as the Polaris. Have you ridden a Grizzly? (I haven't ) I'm trying to decide on a new utility machine for me. My last bike (3 years) ago was a Raptor. Now I'm looking to get back into ATV's but what 2 and 4wd capability, I want to plow that driveway of mine and still go out looking for fun. It just seems a lot of people have written off the Grizzly because it's below 700 cc's. I'm stuck and can't decide between the KQ or grizz.

Koko

Old 12-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

No I havent ridden a grizzly nor a Brute force. If you want THE best mud machine it is hands down the Polaris 6x6. I don't like to modify my machines much thats why I like my 700 efi the most. It has great skid protection and very good stock tires. And it was almost the same price as my KQ. Any machine can be modded to beat anything. Its simply a question of how much money you wish to spend and how durable you want your ATV to be. I think it goes with out saying that the most durable driveline is a stock, unlifted one. Buy what you like the most or you will hate the quad till you sell it. You will never have the fastest or the best. There is always someone with a newer toy and bigger and better tires. Enjoy the sport.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Snowwolfe
You will never have the fastest or the best. There is always someone with a newer toy and bigger and better tires. Enjoy the sport.
Thats a great quote! And very true. I plan on keeping it stock for a while. Maybe some tires down the road on whatever quad I decide to buy.

Koko

Old 12-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

The new KQ 700 is a steel at 7.100.00 , I own a 2003 pol 700 and wish I had the new KQ.The engine braking on the polaris sucks,Yamahas have no low end for mud,Honda foremans do,Id take the KQ.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

well, thanks for everything guys. I appreciate it ! really!

looking forward for my new quad, not sure between the 2 yet.... will keep you posted!

Old 12-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

Is the low end that bad on a Grizzly? This is the first I've read about it's low end.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

They all have good low end. Slip the gear selector into low[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2004, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

Pepete,

I would have to say it depends on how much you want to spend and what matters to you most.

KQ = Plush ride with IRS, EFI, 200 more CCs but costs more

Vinny = sportier ride, larger gas tank, but costs less

I live in Alaska so I'm guessing the terrian is just about the same as where you are. I ride with many many guys that have all different kinds of machines. I got the Vinson but most of my friends either have a 500cc or bigger machine. I am very happy to say my Vinson will go anywhere and beyond my friend's machines will go. My only real mod is 26" Mud Lites. These will be your best investment which ever quad you choose. They are excellent in mud, snow, and on the trails. The other mod that is a must is a winch. If money is an option for you I'd get the Vinson and with the money you will save get some tires and a winch. You will not be dissappointed with this at all. If you have the money to get the KQ with the winch and tires then if it were me I'd get it.

My Vinson will go places that my friends 700 Polaris EFI will not but I think it's mainly because of my tires and rider skill. There's no subtitute for either.

Let me just say this...you can't make a bad decision with either so it's a win win. My advice to you is get one already and get to riding. We ride ours all year around no matter how much snow we get!

Old 12-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

You can always get one of each [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

I went on a pretty long ride Saturday with a bunch of friends. My Vinson did a great job keeping up with the sport quads on the roads. We topped out at about 60 mph a few times when the road straightened out. For the most part, even on logging roads, there were very few times when I topped out in speed. I'm not sure that 70 or 75 that the KQ will run would be realistic unless you have pretty flat and straight roads for a good stretch. I was thinking about this thread and a couple others along this line during the ride. I ended Saturday pretty happy with the performance of my Vinson. One can always but or create more power. But, how much will one actually use during the course of a ride is a key question. If I could keep up with Raptors on the roads and can mud with Polaris, do I really need to spend the extra money on a KQ. After this weekend, I'm convinced that my Vinson is a good machine with more than enough ability to play and run with the best of them. IMO.

Quick Reply: mud machine, which to buy? KQ or Vinson ?