Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt230 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004 | 11:43 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default lt230 questions

ok my first question, i just bought a new bearing kit and sprocket for my quad but was having trouble trying to get the nuts off the axle and the sprocket but they simply wont bundge. could it be reverse thread or is it just stuck since its 18 years old ? also, i had a problem with they carb leaking whenever i cranked it up, i needed to fix it quick so i just zip-tied the hose pointing upwards, it seemed to solve the problem for now but can this hurt it. i was told just taking it apart and cleaning it will solve that problem but ive never delt with a carb, is it very hard to do since i dont have a manual ? thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. ....o and one more, i just bought a uni filter and it says i have to buy some special oil just to use it.could i just use regular oil or do i have to order some of that uni stuff ?

Old 12-06-2004 | 08:16 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default lt230 questions

common guys im sure somebody out there could help me. i really need these questions answered PLEASE !!!

Old 12-06-2004 | 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Default lt230 questions

Are you talking about the large nuts on the axle itself? I don't believe they are reverse threaded, probably someone used a little loc tite on them at some time as those tendto come loose with the rotation of the axle otherwise. Try a little heat and make sure you have the right tool to fit the nut. The sprocket nuts are regular threads also. Could be a few problems with your carb. Being that it is pretty old, there is a check valve in there that has a pointed ruber tip. That can get hard and not seal properly. Or your floats could be out of adjustment, not letting that check valve shut off. Sometimes a good cleaning will help also. Order up a Clymer manual for it and that will be a big help, should only be about $25-30.00. You can probably run it all right with the overflow tube zip tied up for a while, but you do run a pretty good risk of gas spilling on hot engine/exhaust parts while you are riding. Best to fix it soon rather than go boom. Good luck bro.

Randy

Old 12-07-2004 | 12:38 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default lt230 questions

thanks for the help man.you were right about the nuts, i jsut checked the threads and its regular, but i cant budge them with my monkey wrench and ive been spraying pb rust eater on it everyday.i'll try heating it up and see if that helps but i cant beleive i couldn't believe how tight those things are im a pretty big guy and i could do anything to em !!

Old 12-07-2004 | 08:21 AM
Range Rover
Default lt230 questions

You will need to get those axle nuts cherry hot!! I did 2 sports this summer (I'm no small guy either) and they both fought all the way. And I would also loc-tite them back in.
If you need new nuts you can get them pretty easily.

Old 12-07-2004 | 07:36 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default lt230 questions

thanks atomicpunk, i was wondering why my torch wasnt helping, guess i didnt get it hot enough.and where could i get those new nuts. i'm gonna need some new bolts for the sprocket as well since they are ruined from my past atempts to get them off. i like you quad man ,its insperation for mine, but i saw that you had a cobra exhaust,i heard they were very loud and didn't help performance. whats your opinion on the pipe ?thanks again for all you help

Old 12-07-2004 | 08:38 PM
Range Rover
Default lt230 questions

Yea..you've got to get those things almost to the point of liquid before they'll come loose..lol..Vince's Cycle has the axle nuts in stock, you might also try Bike Bandit too. The Cobra is a bit louder than I would like, but I got it off of eBay brand new for $45. With an 11 tooth front sprocket & UNI air filter added at the same time as the exhaust it woke up quite a bit. But, if I had the $$ at the time I would have probably gone with the DG.

Old 12-07-2004 | 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt230 questions

spend the few more bucks and get the DG pipe. Cobra and DG are your only choices (unless you magically come across an old Supertrapp slip-on or a Bassani from the 80's) and the DG is the better of the two.
Atomic, nice looking ride!

Old 12-08-2004 | 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt230 questions

Be carefull when heating up the axle nuts, you can weaken the axle causing it to bend over time.

Old 12-08-2004 | 12:05 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default lt230 questions

thanks for all your help guys. i finally got the nuts off with the help of my dad, a monkey wrench, a torch, my house, and a 3 ton hydrolic lift.it took us about 2 hours but we got it done. now for the bolts on the sprocket... in think im gonna just break them and replace em since they are already stripped pretty bad.hmmm....

Quick Reply: lt230 questions