Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KQ work ethics

I was wondering of you KQ owners:
How low is low range?
How well does it pull/tow?

I am thinking about a new bike and was wonering about the KQ, I like all I have read so far but I have not heard how it works. Yes I want my cake and eat it too. I want a fun/stong trail bike and one that will earn its keep around the farm. I am not overly happy with my current trans not unhappy just could me much better! So thanks a bunch

Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default KQ work ethics

Its an excellant worker and low range will do anything you ask it to,especailly in the Differential Lock mode.It has low end power in low range that you will NEVER fully use.

Last week,I hooked up to a full size Chevy Blazier and tried to free him from a mudpit he was hung-up on.ALL 4 tires spun like crazy with a ton of wheel speed,but I did'nt have the weight to get him out.Still,the POWER was certainly there and more than ABUNDANT.

On the trails?You'll find the KQ to be one of the best trail mannered ATVs offered by the manufactures today.Steering is very LIGHT,and handling is superb.Acceration from a dead stop to 9mph is a little ''doggy''however,once past 9mph,it will feel like you just kicked in the Turbo Charger.

Bill
2005 KQ EFI
589s on all 4 corners

Old 12-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default KQ work ethics

I have used my KQ to pull out my dock and boat lift; pull the boats and jet skis out of the water; move my loaded snowmobile trailers around the yard and move my 1400lb ice house around with no issues at all. Brakes are up to the task and it hasn't ever seemed like I've overworked the engine at all. Using low gear is a must for pulling the heavy loads, however. Very little suspension squat, as well, using the 4/5 shock setting. I looked at the BF and the SP700EFI and the KQ won for the best combo of utility and sport.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default KQ work ethics

I would agree. I think the KQ is great for the person wishing to split its use between sport and utility. I would rate it 70% sport and 30% utility.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Range Rover
Default KQ work ethics

WHat is top speed in low range?
Does the belt feel solid when you are pulling or does it feel like it is straining a bit??
Rack space does not matter as long as I can haul a chainsaw and gas and an occassional deer when luck prevails from time to time. But I want it to be able to haul some firewood on a trailer and I live in southeastern ohio so we have hills everywhere. I am confident in the trail/sport aspect of it, just if it will earn its keep!

Thanks guys I am trying to decide on a new bike and am full of questions! Thanks a million though!

Old 12-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default KQ work ethics

I guess about 25mph.. I never really looked when in low. !0 years ago a 350 was a big quad. I think a 700 will do more than anything you will ask for it. Just use low when you need it.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Range Rover
Default KQ work ethics

I have used mine to drag deer and haul firewood and it works great!!Plenty of power!Theres even room for a chainsaw with a 20" bar!The racks to me are still a bit of a joke though!Waaay small!I pull a 4x6' trailer full of firewood through the woods but not to many hills.It will do work,but I think it's built a little more for the sport side of riding!Now if we get some snow I can see how it will plow?

Old 12-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Range Rover
Default KQ work ethics

Top speed in low is around 28...then it cuts out, won't let you go higher. It has good low range power, but the hesitation they talk about is real for most of us...just a half second where it don't want to take off like a rocket...then at 7 to 9 it opens wide open and hang on!
A lot of power makes it to the ground in low...it really pulls well. Not a hint of a belt slipping on this tranny (unless it's under water as some have said).
Still if you need lots of rack load capability, this quad is a little on the light side for racks.
Seems to be tough, so far not a lot of posts on tie rods bending or cv's and such coming apart.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:43 AM
Range Rover
Default KQ work ethics

You guys are being a great help! I jumped into buying an atv last time, and I am not sorry I bought what I did I just should have done a little more research. My AC is geared high in Reverse, and six months and two belts after I bought it, they sent a letter saying for towing or technical trail stuff use low. That is all well and good but what you pull usually you have to back!?! I was having trouble buring belts in reverse, I had to spend more money and invest more wrench time than I should have on an 04 with 400miles on it! That is where my question are coming from. The racks don't bother me to much like I said as long as the Stihl can ride it should be okay!! Thanks a bunch guys!

MonZooki, great pictures, I hope someday I am fortunate enough to make it out there to see that place for myself. Of course Alaska and the thousand lake state are on that list also! Thanks again guys!

Old 12-09-2004, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default KQ work ethics

I use low range more than high range when in the woods. Some folks find it macho to stay in high range but when you are loaded down using high simply lugs the engine and burns up belts.

Quick Reply: KQ work ethics