Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

HELP!! Anyone know....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Anyone know....

I am trying to install a gunnar tether kill switch on my z400, and I cant figure out which wire is the hot to the stock kill switch. The instructions say yellow and black, but I tried it and when you pull the tether out, It tries to start itself. I would say thats the starter hot wire, but when I put a test light on it, it goes on and off with the off-run switch. THIS SUCKS- i thought it would be easy. Thanks-my z is all ripped apart so any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

find the wire that is the ground to the off-run switch. once you find that put the switch on run and test every other wire until you find the one that will follow a path to ground when you switch to off. if this isn't clear enough let me know

Old 12-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

im not quite following- I tested the other wires and none of them were hot with the switch on

Old 12-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

you don't want to test for hot first... you need to find the ground going to the stock kill switch... man if i was at work i have a wiring diagram for the bike and i could just tell you the color. basically if you just have a test light your going to have to connect the negative of a battery that will power the test light to a bare spot/known ground on the frame. turn the stock kill to run. then test the wires with the positive till one lights up. that should be your ground to the kill. ( for those reading... its easier and looks cleaner if you don't run the tether right to the frame and just junction of an existing wire). so once you found the correct ground wire you will need to wire one end of the tether to that later. now with the negative still connected turn the switch to off. besides the first ire you found find the one that will light the light with the switch on off but not on run... that is your hot wire.. connect the other tether wire.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

The kill switch only has 2 wires. The black one had a ring terminal on it and its grounded to the frame. The red wire on the switch has a connector on it with another wire crimped into it. Do these need to go inline on the same wire or to different wires? Sorry if I sound like a moron, but this is really confusing me for some reason.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

are you talking about the stock run-off switch? is so the idea is to connect one wire on the tether to each of these.. if no then i'm gonna have to wait till 2morrow to look at a wire diagram and tell you the colors... if you had a proper tester it'd be easy for me to tell you how to do it

Old 12-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

No im talking about the tether switch.

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

found the ground its a black and white wire

Old 12-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

basically you need to find the ground on the stock run-off switch and connect the tether to it or the frame. the hot wire to the stock run-off switch will connect to the frame when the switch is off.... you have to find it... then connect the other end of the tether to it... its getting late so i'll just wait til work and send you a pm 2morrow

Old 12-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

here you go.... switch diagram

This will tell you why it was trying to start itself and should be a big help with finding the correct wires.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Anyone know....