Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

stroked zilla?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stroked zilla?

You can search all over these pages and see what everyone has been doing to make there LT a little faster. Hundreds of pages and the same amount of opinions. I was going to stay out of this one but your LT looks to be in pretty nice shape; hopefully you are not a hammer. Like Roost King said, you're not going to get a ton of power with out a ton of work. You can have a very fun machine with with a few mods. Enough fun anyway, to beat a stock or maybe a piped Raptor. A milled head ( .015 from stock is real nice with pump gas); widened exhaust port (for now, transfers are good stock), and the stock carb bored to 39.5mm. This combo works pretty good and is simple/cheap. I ran v-force reeds in my 87 intake; they help a little but not enough to make the cost worth while unless you do a few more mods. From my research, the 500 does NOT like reed spacers. A pipe and silencer will give you more performance in weight savings than power. After those mods, use the rest of you money for weight savings.

By the way, your piston looks real good "blow by" wise. How old is it? Also, the carbon on the top shows you are pretty rich. Before you scrape it off, think about this, the carbon acts as an heat barrier (like ceramic coating).

Anyway, no matter what mods you do, put it together nice and you will have a very fun and reliable machine.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default stroked zilla?

Originally posted by: Halfliter
You can search all over these pages and see what everyone has been doing to make there LT a little faster. Hundreds of pages and the same amount of opinions. I was going to stay out of this one but your LT looks to be in pretty nice shape; hopefully you are not a hammer. Like Roost King said, you're not going to get a ton of power with out a ton of work. You can have a very fun machine with with a few mods. Enough fun anyway, to beat a stock or maybe a piped Raptor. A milled head ( .015 from stock is real nice with pump gas); widened exhaust port (for now, transfers are good stock), and the stock carb bored to 39.5mm. This combo works pretty good and is simple/cheap. I ran v-force reeds in my 87 intake; they help a little but not enough to make the cost worth while unless you do a few more mods. From my research, the 500 does NOT like reed spacers. A pipe and silencer will give you more performance in weight savings than power. After those mods, use the rest of you money for weight savings.

By the way, your piston looks real good "blow by" wise. How old is it? Also, the carbon on the top shows you are pretty rich. Before you scrape it off, think about this, the carbon acts as an heat barrier (like ceramic coating).

Anyway, no matter what mods you do, put it together nice and you will have a very fun and reliable machine.

thanks! The piston was only ran for about 3 or 4 months. i mixed 32:1, so im going to mix at about 40:1 once its back together

Old 12-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default stroked zilla?

Halfliter, is that the stock plastic on your 500? and, where'd ya get those nerf bars and how much were they.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default stroked zilla?

as long as u like his, look at mine too http://img39.exs.cx/img39/8443/MVC-422F.jpg. also ive asked this before, but what is a stage 2 port? i heard its just a clean up port on here before? true or not?

Old 12-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default stroked zilla?

Yes, that is stock (and original) plastic. The nerfs are DG, I don't remember how much they were; I got them about ten years ago. More important, DO NOT change your oil ratio, 32:1 is good. The rich look is from your jetting being rich, not your oil. It is stupid to run less oil. Never run less than 4oz per gallon, especially with synthetics. ( That's a subject I don't feel like typing out any time soon).

Later

Old 12-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default stroked zilla?

i dont know much about the zilla but i know port and head work made a huge difference on my scrambler.a buddy of mine who use to flat track a zilla recently rode my machine and he couldnt take the smile off his face,he told me the power felt alot like his zilla use to.id say get the port work done.im sure that lightening the flywheel will make it rev alot quicker,not sure if its worth doing it to the zilla or not but im happy i did it to my scramblers flywheel..QuadLT500Racer,that pic isnt of your zilla,its your 450r up on the 2 side wheels
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default stroked zilla?

Originally posted by: Halfliter
Yes, that is stock (and original) plastic. The nerfs are DG, I don't remember how much they were; I got them about ten years ago. More important, DO NOT change your oil ratio, 32:1 is good. The rich look is from your jetting being rich, not your oil. It is stupid to run less oil. Never run less than 4oz per gallon, especially with synthetics. ( That's a subject I don't feel like typing out any time soon).

Later
if my jetting is too rich, what size jet should i buy then

Old 12-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default stroked zilla?

I can't tell you exactly what jet to buy. You will have to do some testing at your riding conditions to get it perfect. Search around here and see what people are saying about how to test. One guys jet spec might not work for you. That could be an expensive risk.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider