Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Hows the Vinson in mud???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hows the Vinson in mud???

FastestBlaster,

It looks like you are wanting a 500cc class machine. If this is right I can tell you that you can not go wrong with a Vinson. I'm sure you have heard that they have won every shootout in their class and all that but I'm here to say it's by far one of the best machines ever made today. The question is, is it the machine for you? If there is any fault to this machine at all it is the fact that it does not have a locker. Like others have said for $300 you can fix this and then IMO you have the best machine out there in it's class hands down. If you're looking for something sporty with plenty of power all around but can hang with the big boys the Vinson is the quad for you.

I ride with many others most which have larger quads (Grizz, 700 Sportsman, Praire, etc.) and I can keep up with each and every one of them in all conditions. This is saying a lot living in Alaska where the trails can get pretty rough. If you are looking for something that is capable in the snow and mud here's my thoughts. Tires make the biggest difference than anything else. I can tell you from experience that my Vinson with 26" Mud Lites will out perform both a 700 Sportsman EFI & the Grizz with stock tires in the mud and that's without a locker. Now if you but some Mud Lites on these I'm sure they will give the Vinny a spanking but if you get a locker too I'm sure you will have no problems hanging with them. Unless you want a 100% pure mud machine then the Vinny will do you quite well. If you really wanted this then I'm sure you would be looking for at the 700cc class anyway.

If you have the money get the Vinny with a winch, Mud Lites, and a locker. If you can't get it all at once I would get the winch before anything because regardless of what you buy you will get stuck so this is a must. Others may argue but I would get the Mud Lites before a locker but either way you can't go wrong.

Have a look at my PICs. I believe there's a few of the Vinson with others in some nasty stuff. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

Old 12-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

to my susprise and to other people i ride with, 2 sportsmans and they cant belive how much better i do then them, my brother has 28" mudzillas and a lift and clutch on his H.O 500 and i can go farter in snow and mun then him, because my belt wont slip, and i have a better motor.

thank you for the compliment on my vinson, i have always been trying to make it unique from everyone elses and i think i have succeded.

v581

Old 12-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

I ride with may Sportsman riders and eventhough they are great machines I feel the weight issue is more of a handicap then they would like to admitt.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Vinson581

thank you for the compliment on my vinson, i have always been trying to make it unique from everyone elses and i think i have succeded.

v581
well i think you succeded.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] lol

Yea i prolly would get a winch first.(2.5 warn right?) and than tires. I was looking at the ITP 589's and they said in the rocky mountain atv catalog that the 589s are great on hard packed conditions and mud however the mudlites were mostly for mud. And i mostly ride down loose gravel (RR Tracks), Road/pavement, and dirt/grass, the most mud id be in would be a lil over the tires. Thats why i was thinkin 589's.

Yea ive got A LOT of sportsmans around here too. lol. My neighbor got a 500, and 500HO, then took back th eplan 500 b/c of problems and got a 600twin but has some problems with that too. (Heck my 92 fourtrax 200 that has never been in the shop and is all stock cept gear shifter and oil filter, and ive NEVER washed it or cleaned it is more reliable than them and they are 03's lol. and ive had it since 91. -Good ol' hondas [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]-And a guy down th eroad has an 03 700twin adn another has an 02 500. They got theirs b/c thats what my neighbor got first. And they all have nothing but PROBLEMS. and they are all STOCK. All of them.So it'll be fun when i get the lil 500cc vinny that will kick their ***' lol.

thanks guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

you will be happy, before breakin i dragged a 02 sportsman 500 h.o and lost so bad it was rediclous. i was mad and knew it only had 30mi on it that else would change

well when i had 300 mi i said lets race, so we did, and this time i just pulled on that crappy polaris all the way to i topped out at about 65mph, and he was way way behind.

you hit the nail on the head, the weight hurts them alot.

another nail on the head, myself a die hard suzuki fan, i would have to agree honda is #1 in reliability, my rubicon has yet to let me down, as my 400, the only quirk they have is extreamly hard cold weather starting.

v581

Old 12-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

your right Vinson581 hondas are great just lack alot... i think suzuki has surpassed them with the reliability issue and now look at the features the suzukis come with.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

yea now i got to wait till feb to get my 300ex and vinson 500.lol. Now what color vinny? Im thinkin yellow. lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

yellow is too bright... gotta go green or camo

Old 12-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

ye abut ppl will see me coming and i wouldnt lose it in the woods. lol

Old 12-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider