Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Question about Modded Z400

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Modded Z400

Hello, just a quick question about speed. I know z z400 does 72mph stock. I now have a Yoshimura Slip on and a K&N filter on the way. What will be the top speed with these. and does anyone know how to get more performance out of mods listed ^^?

Old 01-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

stock quad will do around 66 mph. you might gain a couple mph

Old 01-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

I know I'm about to open a can of beans...but oh well the Suzuki forums have been slow lately...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The ONLY mods that would have any effect on top speed would be a gearing change, taller/smaller tires, or a change in the rev limiter. For example...say you can hit the rev limiter on a stock Z in 5th gear. Now, say you change this stock quad into a full blown 440 dragger, but have kept the tires, gearing, and rev limiter the same. Theoretically, you will still have the SAME top speed. This does not mean you won't GET to top speed faster, its just once you get there it will be the same as before.

For an easier understanding, lets take 2nd gear. Nobody here can argue that you can't take a Z to the rev limiter in 2nd gear, stock or modded. Now, say we've got a 100lb girl riding my modded Z, and 350lb Bubba riding a stocker. If the race is only to the end of 2nd gear, the girl would surely win, but by the time both quads were topped oput in 2nd gear, they would both be going the EXACT same speed.

04suzukiz400- The only way that Yoshi pipe will give you more top speed is if it allows you to reach a higher RPM than before. If you could take your stock Z to the rev limit in 5th before the pipe, you will not gain any MPH.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

good job bulldog i dont understand why people think you will go quicker without changing the gearing all exhaust is is air flow how would it make ur top speed higher? if my lungs where bigger could i run faster? NO!

Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

have you guys heard of hp or torque? let me know.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 04suzukiz400
have you guys heard of hp or torque? let me know.
Well I can tell you I can double you in both those categories...does that answer your question?

Does this mean you do not agree with my statements? Answer me this...when you take a look at a gearing calculator, does it ask "What exhaust are you using?", or "Do you have a big bore kit?" No.

Only 3 things are ever asked, tire size, gearing, and max RPM's.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/ltz400.htm

Believe what you will, but HP and torque will only allow you to REACH a certain RPM, and have no bearing on top speed besides the fact that if you don't have enough of each, you cannot reach these RPM's.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

are you saying that with a yoshimura pipe and K&N filter i will not accelerate faster, or have more torqe/hp?

Old 01-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

ya these boards hav been very slow as of late...I'll sling some frozen mud lol

If ya read bulldogz400 post again... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hes sayin that with out swapin out the stock rev limiter/bigger tires or sporcket...you will not gain any top speed..

you will just get there a bit faster.....

but with the set up you hav..your not going to notice much lol.....

Get a full system, jet kit, pre filter/ power lid,K&N filter.new rev limiter.up a size or two in tires,bigger sprocket up front(I think thats right)

Then ya might get 72mph out of her........... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

are you saying that with a yoshimura pipe and K&N filter i will not accelerate faster, or have more torqe/hp?
Where did I say that?? If you'd read my first post again, I specifically stated that "This does not mean you won't GET to top speed faster, its just once you get there it will be the same as before." You WILL have more HP/TQ, and WILL accelerate faster.

BUT!- If you were able to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear BEFORE the additions of a pipe and filter, you will not have gained top speed.

Lets say that before the pipe/filter, you could top out in 5th gear in 25 secs. (Not a true number, just an example). Now after the addition of a pipe/filter, lets say you can top out in 5th in 20 secs. Now by looking at this example, it is easy to see that you HAVE gained HP/TQ and acceleration due to the sheer fact that you can now reach your top MPH FASTER than before. HOWEVER...when you do infact reach this top speed, both setups (stock & modified) will be going the same speed, only one is way ahead of the other by now...

Get it?

Old 01-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bulldogz400
Where did I say that?? If you'd read my first post again, I specifically stated that "This does not mean you won't GET to top speed faster, its just once you get there it will be the same as before." You WILL have more HP/TQ, and WILL accelerate faster.

BUT!- If you were able to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear BEFORE the additions of a pipe and filter, you will not have gained top speed.

Lets say that before the pipe/filter, you could top out in 5th gear in 25 secs. (Not a true number, just an example). Now after the addition of a pipe/filter, lets say you can top out in 5th in 20 secs. Now by looking at this example, it is easy to see that you HAVE gained HP/TQ and acceleration due to the sheer fact that you can now reach your top MPH FASTER than before. HOWEVER...when you do infact reach this top speed, both setups (stock & modified) will be going the same speed, only one is way ahead of the other by now...

Get it?
dont argue or talk smack to this guy because he knows what he's talkin about and is nice enough to sit down and expain it to you, multiple times. well put bull dog

Quick Reply: Question about Modded Z400