Question about Modded Z400

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Modded Z400

Bulldog and lt250rfatty,

You guys are right, kind of...

You see top speed is a funny thing, it CAN change depending on the hp output of the engine even if the gearing and transmission are the same. Typically a vehicle does not have the power to top out a gear in stock form. This is true in motorcycles, atvs, cars, trucks, etc. Usually its drag or other factors that limit top speed, not the transmission and gearing. The tallest gearing in the world isnt going to get you going faster if you dont have the engine to push it. So if the bike, in this case a z400, doesnt have the power to max out the gearing in stock form, which it very possibly doesnt, significant hp gains will yield top speed increases.

Try not to be so damn cocky and condescending about it, even if you are right.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: maddog56
Bulldog and lt250rfatty,

You guys are right, kind of...

You see top speed is a funny thing, it CAN change depending on the hp output of the engine even if the gearing and transmission are the same. Typically a vehicle does not have the power to top out a gear in stock form. This is true in motorcycles, atvs, cars, trucks, etc. Usually its drag or other factors that limit top speed, not the transmission and gearing. The tallest gearing in the world isnt going to get you going faster if you dont have the engine to push it. So if the bike, in this case a z400, doesnt have the power to max out the gearing in stock form, which it very possibly doesnt, significant hp gains will yield top speed increases.

Try not to be so damn cocky and condescending about it, even if you are right.
I've said that, even in my first post. If you can't top out in stock form, then the addition of a pipe/filter may yeild a higher top speed due to the fact that the motor has enough power to find these RPM's that it may have not been able to before.

I feel like a broken record...

Old 01-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well you sure dont seem to have a problem with it, you keep posting away.

Do you know of any atv that hits the limiter in stock form with stock gearing in top gear? I'm asking because I haven't but I haven't ridden everything.

Your "can of beans" as you call it was basically unnecessary in this case. You also found it necessary, along with fatty, to condemn everyone who posted that it actually was possible to gain mph. By your own admission in reply to my post you have validated their posts. They were just as right as you, but you guys felt the need to criticize them and tell them they were idiots.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I don't recount calling anyone an idiot. The only time I made a smart remark in this whole thread was when the originator of this thread asked me "If I had ever heard of HP or torque." A sarcastic rhetorical question such as that will receive a sarcastic responce. Wait I take that back, I stated I felt like a broken record, that makes 2 sarcastic statements.

My first post was to simply explain to members the common misconception of HP and TQ having a large bearing on top speed. Nothing rude, chastizing, or disrespectful whatsoever. I was then questioned on my theory, so I responded. Nothing harsh there if you ask me...

Good lord, I try to stay away from petty arguments such as this, and attempt to reply in a factual matter, but someone is always there to misconstrue my statements...

And to answer yor question, a Z400 can be topped out in 5th while stock.

I actually enjoy reading many of your posts, Maddog, being that you are a young, collegiate, and well educated ATV enthusiast such as myself. I'm just not sure what we are arguing about here.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats why I asked, I havent done a top speed run on the z just a little ice/snow, sand and trail riding. I find it a little hard to believe that you are hitting the limiter on a stock bike in top gear but experience trumps reasonable doubt so I respectfully concede.

I'm not sure that we are arguing so much as having a little turbulance. You and I seem to agree on the same thing for the most part, it just appears that we dont see eye to eye on how it has been explained and dealt with in this thread. I believe that the bike hitting the limiter in stock form is the key issue. You noted that in your very first post. I simply do not feel that the other members caught on to that. You have not, until this last post, stated that the limiter does kick in on a stock bike. You posed a hypothetical question in the first part of your first post, and then in the end said that IF you were hitting the limiter then you wouldnt see a gain in top speed. In any case, this fact was difficult to get from your post and IMO was not made a big enough deal. I certainly missed it. I guess you just have to take into account that most members on here, me included, need things spelled out to us time to time. The other posters in this thread were correct with thier posts, they may have been just assuming you werent already hitting the limiter and not necessarily challenging your statement.

Realistically this person has probably never measured the top speed of his bike, nor will he be doing it now. Most threads like this are posted as simply hypothetical, and not practical questions. A boost of 1-3 mph will probably never be measured and will not be felt by the rider even if there were RPMs left, so essentially we might just as well call it a wash.

I appreciate your kind words. I do not see this as a personal argument, flame, or anything of the like; just a healthy exchange of words and opinions between fellow riders. Besides, you said you wanted to stir up the Zuki forum a little didnt ya?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Topping out in 5th is very tough on a stocker. No way you'll ever do it on anything besides pavement, or at least any other terrain that I'm aware of. The only time I had ever done it was when we actually made an attempt to hit the limiter in 5th on my buddy's stocker. It was a LONG stretch of asphalt, we had the tires pumped to the max, and we stuck our 120lb friend on for the pilot. Realistically, the average rider won't see the limiter in 5th, only under special circumstances will it ever happen. I should have stated this more clearly beforehand...

Originally posted by: maddog56
Besides, you said you wanted to stir up the Zuki forum a little didnt ya?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
LOL...good call.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ZButcheR
Its like talkin to the wife....

ya got to tell her two or three times B4 she gets it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Maybe she gets it but, she figures if you hear yourself say it 3 or 4 times you'll wake up......

Old 01-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 04suzukiz400
we should set up some kind of ride at BRF this spring. get a bunch of people from the forums and my freinds down here.we got 10 of us here.
Sounds good to me, Iam sure I will be there a few times this year.

Have you ever been to Danbury WI???

Obviously you are speaking from your own experience 13inc......

Old 01-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

No i havent, is it nice up there?

Old 01-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

ya IMO Danbury is a pit better then BRF.

Trails are a bit wider.groomed a bit better.& if you want you can put on over 200 miles in a day.

Last time I was there I went through 5 tanks of gas...

But if your up for a Big group ride.

A few of us are going Here the end of may or 1st weekend of June....