Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KQ reverse (suzuki's fix)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KQ reverse (suzuki's fix)

On the highlifter site, A very nice individual by the name snapshot released some photo's of Suzuki's cure to the reverse failure situation.....here is the link to the pictures.. Clicky The gear bushing is going to be replaced with what looks like a needle bearing... Lets hope this is the cure.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

this would be a permanent cure!!! If only they actually do it!!! This is my first Zuki, and if they fix it right I will buy from them again. I can only pray they fix it this way.....In the name of the Father, Son, Holy.............................................. ..

Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Is that an official Suzuki repair or something he came up with himself?

Old 02-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

this is what was sent to him from suzuki... Yes it is an official suzuki dealer repair

Old 02-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

that looks nice lets hope its for real

Old 02-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

From a mechanical standpoint it sure looks like it should be the answer. I don't know what kind of rpm or load are involved in this application....but from my "old days" as a draftsman with experience in special machine design I would say thats about as good as it gets unless you could put oil into it under pressure. Less friction = less heat, and roller bearing are the way to go under a load as long as their is an oil supply or only an occasional short interruption of it. The bearing cage should allow more oil to get into it than the smooth surface of the plain bearing did. The previous bearing style was supposed to run on an oil film so nothing wears or makes contact...it works on rod and main bearings in an automotive engine. Could it have been a problem with oil pressure not being able to pump oil between the bearing and shaft? If they relyed on the oil bath to do it and the bath ran low or the tolerances were too close it would explain part of the problem. It could also have been explained by damage done when the oil was cold and could'nt flow well. As long as it gets a somewhat steady supply of oil it should be a fine modification. If any of these puke out it has to be an oil supply issue, but I would tend to think they checked that out already. Now we gotta find out what VIN number and beyond they are installing this new bearing at the factory so I don't buy one with the old style. Somebody post that info when we find out!!! OK....I admit I might go Suzuki now instead of Griz.....

Old 02-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

From What Snapshot's suzuki rep told him,,, all new motors from December and on will have the new bearing in place. Lets hope they release some kind of list as to Vin #'s for who may need this upgrade. They have not yet anounced any type of recall or update for this,so you might just have to lose reverse in your machine to get the update....Either way everyone should be covered..

I ,myself bought my machine before November.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Fellows I hate to be teh one to break teh news on this forum, but it is posted on the highlifter site now that this is only for Canada Suzuki for now. US Suzuki is still denying any knowledge of the bearing. Check it out.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

It would be nice if you could choose when it goes in for the repair instead of waiting for it to break when you're planning on using it for the whole week. I doubt its good for shavings and galled material to get into the rest of the oil bath......

Old 02-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Thats rediculous!!!! Must be some stiffer laws protecting consumers in Canada.....

Quick Reply: KQ reverse (suzuki's fix)