Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2004 z400 mods help.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400

I just bought a 2004 z 400 only have about 15 -20 hrs on it, ive put full LRD exhaust KnN intake with no lid, I have a dyna fs cdi and I have re jetted the carb . I have been researching on what I should do next and wanted to get your opinion on my conclusion....here goes....White bros/hot cams and or web cams(dont know yet) new springs since I have the dyna cdi.... put a DRZ-E base gasket for 12:1 compression, I dont think I want to get a high compresion piston because ill have to use race gas, unless its big difference ill go with the piston if not no thanks... this is what Ive came up with for my next mods please give me any input and ball park prices, if I look like im going about it wrong please guide me through. Im not sure where to find good prices on this stuff references would be ideal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (I dont want to big bore)................thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] also anything else I should do while I have the motor open??

Old 02-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2004 z400 mods help.....

I installed both hotcams, DRZe base gasket, and DRZe valvesprings. With the cams installed there is a pretty big powerband feel. Once you get over 3/4 throttle it revs and pulls very well. Im bouncing off the rev limiter in no time. I felt more of a gain out of the cams/gasket then the power of the pipe over stock. With my current setup I raced my friends piped (silencer with airbox lid on) YFZ450 We were within a quad length the whole race.

The only thing I wished I would have done is had my head ported while it was off.

Woodward specialties has hotcams for under $250. I went to the local dealer for the rest of my parts.

I also have a 39mm FCR that I didnt put on yet, I want to ride it more with my current setup. With in the next couple of weeks Im also going to order a Dyna CDI.

Also sent you a PM

Old 02-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

Cool, im excited cant wait till I get mine on... Did you get a whole gasket kit or just the drz-e base gasket by itself, how much was it? And you think I should get it from my local dealer? And the hot cams are $250 for both at woodward? Is that woodwardspecialties.com?.. was it a pretty simple job doing all this stuff your self or just took long? or both?I was thinking of port and polishing my head with my dad, would that be a horible Idea? My dad says he use to port and polish heads on his old race cars motors all the time so Im contemplating on maybe having him do it and saving some cash... One more thing what did you mean by you also sent me a pm? sorry for all the question just want to get things right before I go diggin in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

P.S Are you thinking of putting on the 39mm carb with the set up you have or when you get a big bore kit or something?

Old 02-27-2005, 04:47 AM
Trailblazer

you there witti?

Old 02-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I went to the local dealer for my parts because they have been good at geting parts for me. They were a little more money though. I bought seperate gaskets, but Im guessing it would have been better to buy the whole gasket kit. I dont remember what I paid, $50ish maybe. I bought the valvesprings, new rings and had my cyll honed while it was apart. Check around your area to see how much they are.

The cams were on sale when I bought them, $225 for both. I think there normal price is $250. Im pretty sure thats their website.

I didnt think it was bad doing the work myself, it didnt take to long. The only bad part was I brought the head in to get the valvesprings and valveseals changed.

It is up to you on the porting. I dont know your dad, or the quality of his work.

PM its a private message. There is a link twards the top left of the screen. It will say 1 new message.

Im puting the carb on with my current mods. It made a big gain with his other mods on my friends 400ex. He sold the quad and I bought the carb from him.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Hey witti, Just was wondering why you didnt want to put a high compression piston in ? Is it not worth it compared to how much the race gas is to how much horse power it would add?

Old 02-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I dont want to run race gas.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

You should also look into suspension.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Definately, after basic motor mods (pipe, filter, cam....) get your suspension done and then dump more into your motor if you have to, thats my philosophy anyways.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

why doesnt anyone like to run race gas?

Quick Reply: 2004 z400 mods help.....