Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad Reverse Idle Gear Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad Reverse Idle Gear Update

Suzuki is providing a new reverse gear shaft and bearing to King Quad owners under a new warranty program. They have not used the word recall, but they are providing a new shaft with oiling holes and a needle bearing for the reverse gear which stays the same. They are saying that late model 2005's and later units will have the new shaft and bearing already installed.

You may not request a new shaft/bearing assembly and get it covered under warranty, you can however buy the parts and replace them yourself. The parts are only available under warranty if you have experienced a failure.

They also say that anyone who has a 2005 King Quad will have 5 years of warranty for the reverse idler gear problem.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Is there any way to get a production date that would show what they consider "later" 2005's?.....just curious...where did you get the info?
02 650 camo

Old 02-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will the quads that already have the updated shaft and bearing also have the retarded ECM, or will they have the original programming with full power.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Is this Canada, US or both?

Old 02-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there any way to get a production date that would show what they consider "later" 2005's?.....just curious...where did you get the info?
The later 2005 models start with a certain VIN, I can post the starting VIN tomorrow. I read this info off of a Suzuki Service Bulletin a dealer recieved today.

Will the quads that already have the updated shaft and bearing also have the retarded ECM, or will they have the original programming with full power.
All new King Quads will have the updated ECM. And by the way, the new ECM still allows full power to the wheels, it only limits RPM. If you look at the torque curve of a King Quad you would see that at a certain point more RMP does not equal more HP. Suzuki set the new rev limiter at the point where HP and torque start to decrease.

Is this Canada, US or both?
Both, all US Suzuki dealers should have the Service Bulletin I looked at today.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

They also say that anyone who has a 2005 King Quad will have 5 years of warranty for the reverse idler gear problem.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH Suzuki..other mfg's last 20 years plus....whats 5 years ?? it's still less than other MFG.'s ..... so there go's your resale value.. WHO would in their right mind would buy one after the 5 years are up..NOT me..!! Big deal..... NOT !!

Old 02-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

This is not acceptable! So Suzuki is expecting me to pay for parts and do labor myself to fix a defective design which they are admitting to buy selling and replacing broke reverses with. This is a joke. A company can make me pay for parts and labor to fix their defective design. This is almost funny.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

horkam, Do you work for suzuki, where are you from and how did you get your info?

Old 02-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GOBBLER
This is not acceptable! So Suzuki is expecting me to pay for parts and do labor myself to fix a defective design which they are admitting to buy selling and replacing broke reverses with. This is a joke. A company can make me pay for parts and labor to fix their defective design. This is almost funny.
Hold on there pardner, that there "warranty work" means if you bust it, they will fix it. What horkam means to say is if it isn't busted, and you want it upgraded anyway, you gotta buy it.

If you read the entire paragraph where he says
You may not request a new shaft/bearing assembly and get it covered under warranty, you can however buy the parts and replace them yourself. The parts are only available under warranty if you have experienced a failure.
it clearly means they wont upgrade it for free if it is not busted.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GOBBLER
I guess about all you can do is beat the heck out of the reverse until it blows while still under warrenty. But that is a bunch of crap that they still won't replace it in all models. If they know it is defective, then they should replace it. Just wait until somebody gets hurt because of there reverse going out on them when they really need it. I guess they are still more worried about money than having a good reputation and customer satisfaction.

Quick Reply: King Quad Reverse Idle Gear Update