Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Am I Lean-Eiger Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005 | 07:35 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Am I Lean?

i posted earlier that my Eiger was backfiring at full throttle when in neutral. i pulled the plug and it was browinsh grey so certainly not rich. AFter engine was warmed up I tried it again and it was backfiring in neutral at full throttle only. Let off throttle and returned to idle and threw choke fully on and engine died. Restarted with choke off and gave it some gas and then threw choke fully on and gave it full throttle. Backfiring went away. Am I running lean or could it be valves out of adjustment. I do get some smoke out of exhaust when giving it full throttle but it is not a thick white cloud or anthing. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-06-2005 | 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Am I Lean?

Yeah I think I would have to say that it is lean on the main jet cause if throwing the choke and going wot without it sputtering and if it solves backfirring that has to be it. Question: have you ever noticed your Eiger running abnormally hot or u felt like it was too hot? because with a lean mixture like that it would run pretty hot and that would also be a sign that it is running lean.

Old 03-06-2005 | 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Am I Lean?

Oh and also the valves are prolly not the culprit if it idles very smooth with no signs of stalling.

Old 03-06-2005 | 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Am I Lean?

Backfire on decel off w.o.t.= lean.

Old 03-06-2005 | 10:15 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Am I Lean?

Originally posted by: GTFZ250
Oh and also the valves are prolly not the culprit if it idles very smooth with no signs of stalling.

It will idle good after it warms up but cold weather it is not good. Full choke for 30 seconds, half choke for a couple minutes than no choke and it is usually fine. First quad so I don't know if that is normal. It will not stay running if I start it up cold with full choke for 30 seconds and then no choke. It will die.

Dumb question but is WOT= Wide Open Throttle? thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-06-2005 | 10:18 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Am I Lean?

Originally posted by: Shortcut
Backfire on decel off w.o.t.= lean.

It doesn't backfire when I let off the throttle just when it is at full throttle in neutral. hondablaster said in neutral I may be hitting the rev limiter which might cause this to happen. Does not backfire or "poof" when I shut the engine off either. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-07-2005 | 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Am I Lean?

if its only in nutral then why dont you not floor it in nutral cause its not great. the engine is jetted to be running under the stress of pushing the quad when its in nutral there is no work for the engine. its not great to floor your engine in nutral.

to your cold weather question. yes every quad has to warm up before you push on it hard its not good for your quad to run it hard in the cold weather without properly warming it up. you can score the piston wall.

Old 03-07-2005 | 08:04 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Am I Lean?

Originally posted by: CTATV
if its only in nutral then why dont you not floor it in nutral cause its not great. the engine is jetted to be running under the stress of pushing the quad when its in nutral there is no work for the engine. its not great to floor your engine in nutral.
This may be true but I guess it begs the question. If everyone went out and warmed up their atv, hit full throttle while in neutral will they get some sort of backfire. If it depends on the quad okay, what about the Eiger owners. Would any Eiger owner care to do this and tell me your results. Thanks

Old 03-08-2005 | 07:42 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Am I Lean-Eiger Owners?

Any Eiger owners want to tell me their results? Thanks

Old 03-09-2005 | 04:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Am I Lean-Eiger Owners?

I have replied about lean Eiger problems a few times. Do an "Eiger" search and you'll find my remedies there, good luck it it an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Am I Lean-Eiger Owners?