Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Going to buy some new tires for the Vinson, not for sure on the sizes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to buy some new tires for the Vinson, not for sure on the sizes??

I currently have the cheap stock dunlops on my 2004 vinson 500. I'm going to get some new tires for this season but not sure if I should go larger in tire size such as wider and taller. I was looking at the Maxxis Bighorns but am open to any recommendations as well. I don't ride in the mud much, mostly hardpack and rock with occasional creek crossings. Should I also stick with my tire sizes I have now or maybe go wider and taller? This is my first atv and I have not ever had to purchase and test different tires before so I'm looking for all of you guys help and recommendations.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

For the type of riding you do I would stay with 25's. the bighorn looks like it might be the tire you want, also might want to look at alltrac's.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe dirt devils or bear claws

Old 03-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

I'm running the Bearclaws because they are good in snow, and for the trails that I ride they are perfect,not alot of mud,but some,same trails that you ride it sounds like,not saying the others are good or bad,the bighorns are a nice looking tire.try going with 26" with 9's on front and 12" on rear,still plenty of power and they smooth out the ride and give it a wider stand with some added ground clearence,take a look at my pictures.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

I live by my Mudlites. Regardless, 25-26 won't cause any power "downage" that you'd really feel. Above that, you're talking lift, clutch, jetting.......

Old 03-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

Well I went ahead and went with the Maxxis Bighorns. I bought them off ebay yesterday. Even with shipping they still had the cheapest prices. Im upgrading in size to the 26X9X12 AND 26X12X12. Maybe I'll get them by this Friday so I can test them out on the first big ride of the season this Satuday. Now I just need to release the money and buy the locker for the front end. Thx

Old 03-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Range Rover

let us know what you think of them after some good riding down there in that red clay!

Old 03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Going wider you can expect to have lots more mud flyin past the fenders. I went wider with my Vinson and I wish I would have stayed w/stock width. I am looking into fender extentions, I guess they are available in Canada for the Vinsons.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Yea I didn't think about that till after I ordered them but I don't think it will bother me too bad. I usually go around the mud anyways. BTW I recieved my tires already today. They definitely have some quick shipping thats for sure. Once I get them mounted I'll take a few pics and post them.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Given your type of riding, you might be better off with a radial tire instead of a mud tire like the mudlights. There are many handling advantages to radials, especially on hard pack and rocks. Also, the reviews I've seen (especially of the Holeshot ATRs) radials are a great all around tire with better traction in snow, sand and light mud. Check out the reviews.

Quick Reply: Going to buy some new tires for the Vinson, not for sure on the sizes??