Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

87 quadracer case/crank play

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 quadracer case/crank play

hey i got a 87 quadracer 250, we had a vibration coming from inside the engine. we found one cracked clutch plate and upon further inspection found the crank would lift up and down a lil. pulled the cases apart figuring a bad bearing. the bearing slips right into the case. the bearing is good.

now my question. will the newer year quadracers engine cases be the same?

has anyone else had this happen to them were the bearing is loose in the case?

would i even dare peening the aluminum with a center punch to hold the bearing ?or use sleeve retainer?

would anyone have a used case side for this, i checked ebay doenst have any right now. thanks Bill

Old 03-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Pro Rider

that happens to the 500s in their lifetime.you could take it to a machine shop they can build it up and machine it out or put steel bearing bosses in.you might as well put new bearings in while it is apart i wouldnt reuse the old ones.i think but am not positive that 87 and up cases are all the same.DO NOT TRY TO PEENE THE BEARINGS IN.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

ill try to see if a machine shop would do it. it sounds a bit pricey lol i have new bearings and a wiseco rod on order. thanks for the help thus far man

Bill

Old 03-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

the cases pop up on ebay frequently,but be careful i have been burned a few times on ebay. but if you did do thay modification you could brag about it,and it would be tough! haha

Old 03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

contrary to popular belief though,87-92 bottom ends arent exactly alike(the cases are though),all the parts are interchangable,meaning an 87 crank/case/trans will work with a 88-92,but the crank is slightly diferent (but still totally interchangeble 87-up) and the gearing betweeen 87-88 is slightly diferent. my motor has 87' cases,88' cylinder,87 head, 91 trans,88 crank,and the frame is an 87

Old 03-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

what do you think i would pay for a good set of cases. the cases i have are actually garred up inside from when a thrust washer broke for the piston and I sanded the burrs out so there not perfect.

i had emailed a guy on ebay and he said he had one but one side was cracked.

and i emailed another guy on ebay and he had a good set for 150 shipped

you said you were burned on ebay. yeah it happens i just bought a 85 quadracer bottom end and there was a hole the size of a penny in the crank area. i just wanted the new rod and bearing anyways but still how the heck did he miss that.

how were you burned (superevil) on a set of cases? what do you think? i dont wanna get the cases that are cracked and be burned you know. is 150 bad for a SET?

Old 03-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Pro Rider

Well i paid 110 for mine,and there was a couple of blemeshes he stated,and i e-mailed him and asked him if there was any other damage either repaired or what and he said no,and on the area around the crank where the two cases met,it had been broken at one time and welded back,wich really p*ssed me off. I would say 150 would be a good price if they are in good condition. even if there is a repair,as long as it was proffesionally done,i would say 150 isnt to bad. I would not buy anything outside of ebay though unless you know them,even if it is an ebay user,get them to make an auction for "buy it now" at 150 dollars or something .people get ripped off cause you send them your money,and then they just play dumb,and then you have no proof of sale without ebay. People will tell you "as is" and then play dumb. i also bought a motor that was "suposedly" rebuilt for 310,and it was blown up bottom and top. I wouldnt try to rig the bearing at all in your old case,i would just get different cases. I actually think the user "kdog" on this forum has a couple of cases,send him a message