Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 vs yfz 450

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 vs yfz 450

i was wondering what is a better choice the z400 or the yfz 450 because i am debaiting on what to get i like the z 400 because it has reverse is that a good reason to go with suzuki?

Old 03-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default z400 vs yfz 450

First of all what type of riding will you be doing? The yfz is a great mx bike and might be a little uncomfortable on long trail rides due to the stiff suspension, also the yfz is high geared and likes to be ridden where the motor is not lugged down. The z400 is probably the best all around quad out right now its not the best at anything but its good at everything it is a excellent trail bike. So if you are doing mostly mx and are riding in dunes or open areas go with the yfz. If you do a little big of everything go with the z.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Range Rover
Default z400 vs yfz 450

Reverse is the reason i bought my DVX(the same as a Z400). I motocross occasionally and xc occasionally and it does fine. You can trail ride it or race, it's happy everywhere.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default z400 vs yfz 450

Ive riden both and to me the Z feels more comfortable to ride. both are great bikes

Old 03-27-2005, 11:52 PM
KPM
Trailblazer
Default z400 vs yfz 450

I'm in the same boat that you're in. I've been researching/debating this issue for months now and here is what I've found out. I'm 6'3" and the z is much more comfortable for me. On the yfz I feel really cramped like I'm on a smaller quad, but from what I've read that can be fixed with a few mods (eg higher handle bars). The seat is way more comfortable on the z than the 04 yfz that I was on. Now for the power issue, if you want the fastest quad out there and plan on doing a lot of racing (even if its with your buddies) there is no way a z will beat a yfz with out putting a considerable amount of money into it. Now I know there is probably somebody out there with a stock z who has beat a yfz, and you always have to consider the "skill of the riders", but the bottom line is the yfz is faster and more powerful period. You have to decide how you'll be riding and go from there. I've decided on the z because 95% of the time I'm riding my wife is following me, I never race, we go for long rides, the z has plenty of power to have fun anywhere, and I'm lazy (that's where reverse and comfort come in). If I rode with my buddies most of the time I'd get the yfz because we all like to have the fastest. The z just fits me better for my situation and if I ever want more power I can throw a big bore kit in and be up with the yfz. The only way I think you'll be disappointed with the z is if you race (even if it's just for fun).

Old 03-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 vs yfz 450

Originally posted by: timB
i was wondering what is a better choice the z400 or the yfz 450 because i am debaiting on what to get i like the z 400 because it has reverse is that a good reason to go with suzuki?
Get a Kfx400

Old 03-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 vs yfz 450

It would take quite a bit for a Z to keep up with a YFZ but they are more comfortable and better all around.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default z400 vs yfz 450

I would choose the YFZ for motocross, play riding (casual motocross), or freestyle jumping. I would choose the Z for everything else. It is the best all-around machine you can buy. The Z motor hops up real nice, with just some airbox mods and an exhaust system.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 vs yfz 450

I agree with everyone else .. while the YFZ is an excellent machine, it is a focused bike, while the Z/KFX/DVX is a more rounded, mulit-purpose machine.

Good luck with whatever you buy .. and enjoy the sport!! And welcome to the forums .. bickering and bashing aside you will not find a more complete online resource for all of your ATV questions ..

Old 03-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default z400 vs yfz 450

well i finally got my tax refund but it wound up being a little less then i planned. Now i am having trouble buying one due to that and the fact that i am in school and quit my job. I think i still might buy 2 z's for me and my girl though...just pay cast insted of financing. My question is...choosing these over a preditor for me...will i be able to keep up (not racing) with my buddies on a pred, 450 yamaha, and
(know it sounds stupid but never ridden with) 125 yamaha souped up. I have no idea what motorcycles can do. are they faster then quads? he just bought it now that he is back from iraq and never ridden it nor have we ridden with a motorcycle ever. anyway i just dont wanna get left behind. this'l be my first quad tho i have ridden them plenty. thanks for bearing with me

Quick Reply: z400 vs yfz 450