Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kingquad VIN and the reverse issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingquad VIN and the reverse issue

Does anyone have any facts relating to the rumor that Kinquads above a certain VIN number are equipped with the revised roller bearing idler gear??

Just wondering if I should be concerned about babying the reverse when I do hit that mudhole. I only have 50 miles on it so far, and it is a responsive machine, considering I moved up from the 300EX.

I guess the only thing that really worries me is if the reverse does go (during the extended reverse warranty), what could potentially happen to the engine if the debris circulates........will SUZUKI warranty the motor if it fails (after 6mo)?????

Old 04-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

BigcountryWI, sorry I dont have any facts about the vin# and the new bearings, just what I have read on the forums. Topgun should be able to answer that for you. My question for you is what did you do while you were in moab? Ive been there many times but I have not had the chance to take a wheeler down. Did you have your quad with you? Been down in a jeep and that was a riot, even had a mountain bike once but never a quad. I am thinking this is the year I go down there with the king.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the King also and I love it!!! 10 minutes off the trailer brand new it was in the deep mud........ Loved it. No reverse problems or anything else until I sunk the rear end and it sucked water into the belt exhaust. The belts started slipping and I had to stand it on the rear end to drain the water. But no reverse issue.............. The ECM was supposed to be fixxed. I would assume all the low numbers were sold if you bought your's out of the crate. Other quad owners will try to fink all the fault's but you could do the same............

Have fun and don't worry about the small stuff.......... You have a badass quad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

Took the wheeler there and had a blast. You can see some MOAB pics on my page when the moderator approves them

Old 04-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Range Rover

A Vin of JSAAP41A_52115956 or higher gets you the updated reverse parts. The ECM update doesn't seem to be helping the problem as many have lost reverse after the update. Really, what can that do to correct the lack of oil issue? All it does is prolong the inevatable. If it were me, I wouldn't baby reverse. You have a warranty and they aren't going to change out the parts unless it breaks so run it like normal. If it blows, you will get the new updated parts and then have no further issues in the future, as long as the dealer does the fix properly.

Zigzilla has posted the documents that support the Vin number I mentioned above. I can also email them to you if you would like a copy.

Page 1

Page 2

Old 04-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

Topgun1, thanks for the info, guess I'm one of the lucky high-tech bushing owners, my vin was 52105978.

If it does break, it won't bother me too much as long as the service dept. gets it back on it's feet fast.

Now, for the next question, I am a believer in synthetic oil. After the break-in, I would like to use it. Has anyone heard any reasons not to use synthetic in the KQ???

Old 04-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Actually isn't your vin # smaller, making it not in effect?

JSAAP41A_52115956 is what Topgun said.
52105978 is what you said. If vin #'s go by what I think they do, yours isn't one of them. If you subtract the 2 you get a posotive #, not a negative one. Or am I not using the vin # correctly? Do you use all the #'s after the _ mark or the last 4?

Old 04-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

The bushing is not the problem, it's the shaft it rides on. For some reason, they left out the oil hole. Can't get a straight answer on if they all are this way or if some got through that were bad. The new shaft definitely has the hole though.

There should be no problem running synthetic oil. Just remember, the King Quad has a wet clutch so the oil you choose must be compatable with that. As with regular motor oil, it should "NOT" say "energy conserving" on the label. That usually indicated moly additives are present and that can make a wet clutch slip. Mobil and Amsoil both have a motorcycle synthetic. There are other brands also. Rincon owners have had a lot of good luck with Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w-40. It comes in a blue gallon jug and can be purchased at Wal Mart for around $13. It will say universal diesel oil on the label but it has very good properties for our heavy duty useage. That is what is going in mine next oil change. For the money, I don't think you can do much better.

And yes, he has the older version, that was a sarcastic remark he made about the high tech bushing. (the new ones have a bearing) All you have to remember is the last 6 digits, that should provide you with the info you need.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I got it now. My dad is thinking whether or not to get one this year or get one next year when they have some of the stuff worked out.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Range Rover

If you buy an '05 with a Vin higher than the one listed, you should be OK. As for '06, shouldn't really have anything new other than they will be assembled in the USA instead of Japan.

Quick Reply: Kingquad VIN and the reverse issue