Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Buying my first Quad (z250) need some Quick advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first Quad (z250) need some Quick advice please.

You did make a good choice, I've had mine for over a year now and I dont go easy on it, I havnt had any problems.

Old 04-09-2005, 04:09 AM
Trailblazer

The dropped money trick didn't do it for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Problem was, the owner wasn't there so I was dealing with the assistant manager who I guess doesn't give quite as good a deal.

In the end I got the White and Blue (looks somewhat purple, damn lighting..) '05 for $4200 out the door.

He also gave me 20% off the full skid plate set and free installation ($200 for a arm guards, body plate, and rear differential plate - installed).

Also, they give me a 10% off parts / service for a year and free parts on first scheduled service.

While I am sure I didn't get the best deal ever, I think I didn't get the worst either.

Ohh yeah, I didn't have anything to strap it into my trailor so the guy through in some ratcheting ties to secure it.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

Good deal, I like the frames on those 05's I just don't like the graphics and seat much.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

whats different about the frames

Old 04-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

They are painted a blue color on the 05's

Old 04-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

Took the bike out for a couple hours this morning. I live in the high desert so there are hundreds of paths right behind my house.

Everything seemed good, although I the bike seems to miss shifts every once in a while (especially when idling, though I guess that should be expected).

I noticed the owners manual is a bit insane in parts.

For instance, when they tell you how to break in the bike they say don't go over half throttle (how do I know what half is?) and don't go to slow. Vary your speed, but don't gun the engine.

Also, under the cleaning instructions they say dust and dirt etc. can dammage the engine, but then they give you a list of parts not to spray with the hose that basically covers everything but the platics.

Damn, this thing is more high maitenence than a Ferrari.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Nah, Don't follow that stuff in the manual religiously or anything, it's just guidelines. We have two, we ride the ***** off em, wash everything (Motor, under the seat, plastics, swingarm), Dry them, and put them up. That's really all you have to do besides an oil change every few months or so. For break in just go kinda easy on it, it won't hurt to open it up a bit just don't do it for a long time and give the bike a few breaks during long rides while it's breaking in.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For break in, as long as you don't hold 'er wide open for an extended period, don't worry about throttle position or speed. Just be sure to 'load the engine on acceleration and deceleration, and it will be fine. Good luck with the new Zuk, I predict you will be looking for a z450 in the next few years!!

Old 04-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

I can already feel the need for a bit more torque in the low end, I have some rocky hills that I bog a little on.

Hopefully an exaust / filter / jetting should give it a little more go in the low end.

The DG stage III claims 3-4HP but that seems a bit high to me.

What kind of real life performace gains should I expect from those mods?

(P.S. I know this may sound dumb, but what do you mean by loading the engine for acc / de-acc?)

Old 04-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just accelerate(load w/ throttle on) then use the engine to slow you down. Say you are going fast or down a hill. Instead of using the brakes, let all the way off the throttle, maybe even downshift a gear. This puts a load on the engine on deceleration.

Quick Reply: Buying my first Quad (z250) need some Quick advice please.