Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Question for all Z400 owners - Are you happy with your quad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for all Z400 owners - Are you happy with your quad?

Hello all. I'm new to the forums here but have been lurking around for a couple of days doing my research. I've been riding motorcycles for over 20 years, both street and dirt. I've ridden quads a handful of times in the past and am now ready to purchase a new one. So far, my research is pointing me towards a Honda or Suzuki. I just got back from local dealers and I sat on a Raptor, YFZ450, TRX450 and a TRX400. I liked the way I felt on the Hondas. Very comfortable and natural. The seat on the YZF seemed a little stiff. I will need to visit a Suzuki dealer for the Z400.

Although I don't require the fastest machine available, I would like something with respectable speed and pep. Another thing to consider is that I'm a relatively big guy at 6'2" 210 lbs. The riding I plan to do is fairly diverse -wooded trails, sand dunes and dirt. So, something that can handle all-around conditions would be ideal. With all that said, I'd like to know if all of you Z400 owners feel that this quad would be a fit for me. Is everyone happy with theirs? Any quality issues with Suzuki as opposed to Honda? I know Hondas are touted as being the most reliable but I've owned bikes from all 4 of the big Japanese manufacturers and they were all quality machines to me. So long as I like the way I feel when I sit on the Z400 whenever I visit the dealer, I think my choices are between the TRX450, TRX400 or Z400. The TRZ450 might be a bit race-oriented for me. Not sure yet.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

My son has a Z. He's 16, and not nearly your size. It is plenty of machine for him. The only issue I have with it, is that rattling sound it makes on full or close to full throttle. It rides good and climbs hills good too.

I have a Predator. If I were gonna buy anything new again, it would be another one, especially since they have reverse. Look at one of those before you decide.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

Welcome Captain.

I have over 2 years on my Z and am very happy with it. If I had to come up with a complaint it would be the lousy stock air filter. That's being taken care of with a Noss adapter and UNI filter. The Z is a well thought out, quality built ATV. It's been very reliable and easy to maintain.

I would recommend that you actually drive each model you are interested in. Not just sit on it. I tried out a Predator before buying my Z and found it to be really uncomfortable. That obviously is an opinion and you may find it a great fit. But the only way you can tell for sure is to actually drive it some.

Plus, I ride with 6 other guys all with Polaris's. Some newer, some older, all are 4X4's not sport models. One would think that I would have joined the gang and purchased a Polaris. Not after I've seen how many problems they all have with them......

Old 04-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, fellas. Hey, isn't the Z400 the same quad as the Kawasaki KFX400? I've been doing internet research and it looks like they at least share the same engine. Can anyone verify this?

Old 04-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Same machine, different manufactures names on them.

Another thing about the difference between the pred and z....power. There's just no comparison. I've put around 5000 miles on mine, and I've ridden the far out of my sons too....the pred just has the ba11s the z doesn't....

To add to the other post....the 05 Pred has been redesigned. The seat is different than from the other years, it's more ergonomical. There has been a lot written about it. I'd suggest checking out the polaris forum. I'm not trying to get you to buy anything, it's your choice....I love my pred, and it has been relatively problem free.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

The suzuki LTZ400, Kawasaki KFX400, and arctic cat DVX400 are the same machines with different plastic.
Im happy with my Z. I had it since sept 02, no major problems so far. The only problem I had was a chain adjuster bolt broke, but in 04 the adjuster changed. Stock it seemed to be lacking a little power, but with a pipe and air filter I was pretty happy. With my surrent mods Im running with piped YFZ's.

If I bought a new quad I would get the YFZ or wait to see what the suzuki 450 is when it comes out. I dont like the honda 450 because of the kick start. I saw a guy today kicking his over 10-20 time to get it to start, looked like it kicked over hard.

The Z is a good all around quad.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

welcome. I love my Z. the only problem I have is staying on the thing and not killing myself in the process
great quad to mod and ride. im not that crazy about the trx 450. dont like the way it felt or looked when I sat on it
but thats just me. I love the reverse, used it many of times to get out of tight spaces.
good luck on what you decide to get. you'll have fun with it

Old 04-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Range Rover

I have a 04 Z and would recomend it to everyone. If you are looking at the 400EX you need to look at the fact it is air cooled and old techology-just new plastic and reverse. The Z is a better bike and there are many aftermarket parts out there to do anything you want.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Quad Patrol

Welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have an '03 Z, since I've own it, I've had to replace the clutch. Previous owner wore the crap out of the clutch racing in the woods of Missouri[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Anyways, I find that it has all the power I need in a quad. Handles wonderfully, excelerates through all the power bands, is great in the sand and on the trail[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] With the upgrades they did on the '05's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We'll be looking to buy a new one for our next quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

A couple of ideas for you to think about.

First off though I dont own the z400 or any of the clones I have rode them, and also most all of the others your looking at, and many in both stock and various levels of modification so I have a good feel for the similarities and differences.

I have to be honest in that I think you would be happy with any of the models your looking at, but only you will be able to determine which would best match your current and future needs and expections best. There all fine machines including a few you didnt mention like the pred, atk, and even the third z400 being sold by artic cat.

You make a good point on the potential for the 450 to be too race oriented, and though I can not know if this could be the case for you or if it would be the best one for you either I do know I have talked with more than one rider who ended up finding out that the yfz450 or 450r he purchased wasnt really what they needed. One guy even traded his yfz at a loss for a 4x4, but i dont think from what you have said that you would be picking anything that far off from what you really need like he did.

One additional question I think you may want to ask yourself is if you are intending on keeping the atv stock or modding it. Reason I say this is because the less powerfull ones your looking at can be made to perform much better than they do stock. Knowing if this moding is a potential thing for you in the future and you are able to make changes as your needs and skills change etc may allow you to spend a few less $$$ now and still be able to increase the performance in the future and depending on the model you can get close to if not on par with the 450's with just a small investment.

Best advice I can offer is to be sure to get a little seat time on all of them before you make any final decisions, and this is the only way you can be sure your happy with the product etc.

Good luck in your choice on matter what it is.

Quick Reply: Question for all Z400 owners - Are you happy with your quad?