Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Twin Peaks reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Peaks reliability

Are there many Twin Peaks owners out there? I know its the same as the Prairie 700, but I just don't see much info on the Twin Peaks. Are these machines as reliable as anything else out there? Didn't know if there are any problems to anticipate. I've read some stuff about how the belt system isn't as good as others and don't last too long. How much quicker/powerful would it be compared to the Vinny? I just sold the Banshee last weekend and I'm looking for a powerful utility. I'm still a little leary of the King Quad although I really like the looks of them.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

The belt drives are just fine. I have 3 of them if you count the Prarie 650. I had to change one belt as prevenative maintitnace after towing a Polaris sp500 over a large pass back to the cabin after its beld broke in two. I was loaded with all my gear and myself and my budy on his polaris and all his gear. In fairness I overheated the belt that had many miles already behind it. Its less the belt drives fault and more mine for pulling a 1100 lb load over 40 miles through the mountains. That is the only belt I had ever replaced and we went ahead and finished our trip on that belt. I have 0 complaints about the prairie belt drive. I like the looks of the twin peaks allot better than the prairie. As far as power the gearing is a little more on the low end than the KQ is. The twin peaks is allot quicker in the first 200 yards or so, but then the KQ starts to run it down do to it taller gears. There are allot of modds on the market for the prairire/ twin peaks to make it fast as you want. If you want a sporty ride stick with SRA chassis. I road my dads KQ again last weekend along with his BF750, the KQ is the better of those 2 but you do get the big single vibration. All IRS feel tippy to me but thats Just IMO. If you like to power slide and play hard the SRA Twin Peaks is a great choice.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Pro Rider

I've only had mine for about 6 months but all seems well. The power is awesome and it seems to go about anywhere. The only modifications that I did were a full under chassis skid system and some tire and wheels for when I get in the nasty stuff. Don't plan to do anymore.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

How's the ride. I read in Dirt Wheels that the Prairie rode just as comfortably as the King Quad. Is the suspension/ride comfort of the Twin Peaks really that good?

Old 04-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

I can try and put in perspective as I have experinced the following models on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the smothest / softest

Twin Peaks / Prairie------8

BF750i----------------------6

KQ---------------------------8

Sportsman 800-----------9

AC 650---------------------7

Bomb 650------------------6

Honda Rincon 650--------8

IMO, the Twin peaks rides as smooth as any Japan design IRS, it also handles much more stable than the IRS suspensions with its very low center of gravity. The Twin peaks is the smoothest SRA I have ever been on. The old Style spotrsman 500s are the smoothest I have ever road.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info cc1999. I really like you're blue TP. I love that color. Is the blue color for the 05's the same as the 04's? When I've looked at the new ones on the net they seem to be a lighter shade of blue. I am leaning towards a TP or a Griz. The only thing really holding me back from a TP is the fact they are so big. I have a short bed Silverado and I want to be able to close the tailgate when I load it. I don't think the TP will fit. I will be using it all the time and I don't want to have to strap it in. I'm not sure if the Griz will even fit.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Here is some deminsion specs for the Grizz and Twin Peaks, I would point out that the Twin peaks has a rear rack design that is inc. in its overal length that overhangs the body by about 3" or 4"s. I just wanted to point that out since that would be up above the tailgate and not part of the equation in loading it your truck.

Twin Peaks
Overall Length-------------------: 86.22 in
Overall Width-------------------- : 46.46 in
Overall Height--------------------: 46.26 in
Wheelbase------------------------: 50.79 in
Dry Weight------------------------: 602 lbs

Grizz 660
L x W x H---------------------------82.1” x 45.3” x 47.6”
Wheelbase------------------------50.2”
Dry Weight -----------------------600 Lbs

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

I've managed to put over 500 miles on my TP so far.........and knock on wood........haven't had any major problems thus far. The belt light hasn't lit up yet, and I don't plan to do anything with it until then.

There are two things I've encountered that are even worth mentioning:

1) Installing a Warn Winch is a pain in the ****.....but it can be done. That opinion is coming from someone with little patience when it comes to routing wires and such. I'm sure there are people out there that could probably wire one up with their eyes closed.

2) The 2x4/4x4 light will alternately flash back and forth, and won't let the 4x4 engage. This is what I have found: It usually occurs a day or so after I have ridden through some pretty deep water. I guess a little condensation/steam gets up in the fuse area under the seat. To correct the problem, I simply pull the three buss fuses and wipe/dry them off.

As far as the power goes.......you are dealing with a 700cc V-TWIN. Hands down, the TP & Vinny can't even compare. Speed, on the other hand, is another story. I've not raced anyone on my TP, but I'm sure it would hold it's own. I've had it up to 57mph before, and I still had some throttle left.

Going from a Banshee to a big utility will take some getting used to. I went from a KFX400 to the TP, and it took a little while to get a feel for the big bruiser..........just keep that in mind.

BOTTOM LINE.....YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH THE TWIN PEAKS.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

The tires will greatly influence the ride. I just put the stock Dunlops back on. The ride is much more plush over the Mud-lites. Bigger tires will rob the power. I think the machine has plenty of snap. It is really fun to tank around in the woods. I've not found much that can stop it. My wife really likes it also. The only drawbacks are the front bumper. If you buy the winch, you can't put it against a tree to pull someone out without scratching up the bumper. The second is, fuel mileage. This machine likes to drink. I think it should fit in your truck. It fits into my double cab Tacoma and only sticks a small ways out onto the tail gate.