Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Factory Wiring for a winch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Wiring for a winch?

This weekend I fabricated the winch mount and wired the "Cosco" "el cheapo" winch. I searched for the factory wiring, but could not find it. Can anyone please identify the wiring harness for me? I did find a pair of bullet style connections above the fan where the harness is bundled together. Is that it?

I will try and post up my pics on my bio page tonight if I get home early enough. My family laughs at all the junk I have in my barn, but I always tell them " one man's junk is another man's treasure". I only needed to buy the grade 8 bolts!

Thanks in advanced!!

Old 04-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

You mean a Costco store bough winch? Not sure.

Usually those cheap winches have the hard wired cables, no contactor. So all you would do is hook it up directly to the battery. I took a couple of those and make them a bit better.
Rob

Old 04-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer

I knew that, it had instructions!!!!!!!Duhh!!!!

I wanted to know because I'm going to use a Ramsey Winch handle bar mounted controller and do away with the big ugly controller. I called Champion (the maker of the cheap winch) and spoke to a tech rep and he said the Ramsey Remote switch would work and gave me the part number (#256117) for handle bar mounted switch.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Well fishdaddy with that limited info you supplied people have to make some guesses. ANd since no one else did for 4 hours I took a stab at it. And there are a lot of folks that don't read the instructions.

But since you see like a nice person I'll continue to help you along. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The 256117 kit you bought is a nice kit, I bought one for my KQ. the kit has only one flaw IMO. The rocker handle bar switch. Cheesy plastic and a little clamp. One little wack and it'll break off the bar. I think the rotary switch is better if you want to go that route. Instead of using that I rewired the controller that came with the cheap winch. Added a couple trailer connectors and I can now be off the ATV when winching if I want. Plus the switch is out of the weather. The Ramsey switch didn't look to waterproof to me.

Also if I recall you DON"T need a hot wire from the atv to set this up. The heavy cables go directly from the battery to the contactor, then from the contactor to the winch. 3 wires from the contactor if I recall are used to power in or out. These 3 wires that operate the solenoid get their power from the contactor. So with this setup you shouldn't need anything from the ATV wireing harness unless the new KQ has a winch switch build into the controls(In wich case the 256117 kit is overkill, you only need the contactor). If it does then you are looking for 3 wires because that's what the contactor needs. I doubt the KQ has a built in contactor but who knows.

Sorry I can't be more specific on the KQ wiring harness because I don't have one. But for general use of that kit it might help you. Go to my rancher site and look at the winch page.

Next time you might try and get your dealer to toss in a nicer winch on the $7,000 ATV you just bought for free!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck,
Rob

Old 04-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

I apologize for the sarcasm.

I appreciate your help!

Old 04-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

As far as I know, there is no factory harness for a winch. The KQ does come equipped with a wire loom to run your electric cables through.

However, technical service bulletin 11589 recommends to bypass the loom and mount the winch on the rear of your quad as to prolong the life of the reverse idler gear assembly.

Just kidding.......Somone correct me if I am wrong about the wire harness though!

Enjoy your KQ, I know I sure as hell have fun on mine.

Post those pics.