Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2005 King Quad...ATV of the Year...the real story

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 King Quad...ATV of the Year...the real story

You know, I keep hearing about this vibration thing on the K.Q.....it's not there on mine. Just to make sure that I wasn't
imagining things , I jumped on my brothers Vinson (which I used to have till I wrecked it). Then I was convinced. I guess what one man calls vibration, another doesn't feel it. Both Actrite and CC199 have owner and ridden more than I ever will. I appreciate the intelligent responses. As for me, the K.Q. has everything that I ever wanted in a ATV. Maybe next year or sooner...someone else will put something out there that I like more.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

i think you guys spend too much time arguing about which atv is better and not enough riding!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]......opinions are like a$$holes,everyone has one!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].......now go riding will ya already!!!!

Old 04-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

cc1999 - As you have ridden the King Quad a fair amount, likewise I have ridden the Prarie a good amount. To me the Prarie (and everything else) lacks the refinement the King quad has. It has the feel of refinement that nothing else comes close to. To me it's like driving an expensive car or one that is very refined (ie: lexus). I think that is why Pastor and I keep posting how fabulous it is, we like it that much.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Actrite, I know we are destin to agree to disagree, I am curious as to what you thought, made the P700 less refined. Is it just the lack of EFI or is there something else. I run accross very few fokes that have road both that have said they thought the Prairie was less refined.
I know some like IRS and some do not, Thats more ride style preference than refinement. Please through out some examples. IMO the EFI is a wash with the V-twin. I would rather have the twin and others would rather have EFI, Both are inovative features that no other or few other mfg offer.

NorthernWolf, I thought part of the fun and intent of the forum was to trade ideas and opinions on different products and machines and share experinces we have had with different quads and products. Shareing info in sometimes spirited debate is just part of the fun of the hobby and a good way to learn about the pro's and con's of differnt products at least it is for me.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Range Rover

Hey trailguide, if you don't like pastors excitement, why don't you ride somewhere else?[/quote]

...Quadessence..Its not the "excitement"…it’s like maddog said,the repeated, repetitious, lengthy B/S new threads….......Its like beating a dead horse..which may be the norm for you, but come’on…to start a rally every couple of threads…
I believe every rider, (and some more so) has a measure of knowledge, they can share on this forum…and they should share it.. I wouldn’t want pastor, nor you to leave this forum either…maddog just stated what he saw was repetitious threads.."stick around"... OK......…lol

Old 04-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

CC, You asked why I find the Prarie less refined than the King. In all fairness I first should tell you that the one I rode is one that I rented for two days. I rented it because I was seriously considering buying one. The fact that it was a rental may mean that people ride it like they stole it.
Anyway, as you are I was very impressed with the engine. But I was not at all pleased with the transmission. It whined horribly. I even test rode a new one at the dealers that had the same whine. It also did not hold back well on ascents. That may have meant it was not adjusted correctly. It was hard to get it to go into 4 wheel drive and then come our of 4 wheel drive. Overall it was a very loud, unrefined bike in my opinion.
The King is very quiet. The transmission is fabulous, I like it better than the one on my Honda Rubicon. It's always in the sweet spot, ready to rev whenever you punch it. It's ride is fabulous, it handles extremely well.
I have always thought of Honda's as being refined but I thought the Rincon I owned was very rough around the edges (read poor transmission) compared to the King.
I find the King very refined, much like the Lexus automobile I drive.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

I think this thread is evolving into a great way to be educated. Between actrite and cc1999 we are talking around 5o bikes, thats alot of experience. I have a question for some of you experienced riders: what kind of riding do you do? I know that CC is from the flat lands of kansas (I was just there 3 weeks ago)...Actrite, what kind of riding do you do? Just curious. That might have something to do with this. I personally ride in the rugged foothills of eastern Washington. This environment seems perfect for the K.Q....anyway just curious. Feel free to tell us what kind of riding you do.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Apparently they could have scrutinized it a little more, Grind me a lb. in reverse, that was not nice!! just joking. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Pastor,
I ride in the mountains of Utah. I really like the Paiute trail and the trails around Moab. We have lots of rocky trails and lots of very steep descents and ascents. They say there are those that ride and see a blurr and those that ride to see the scenery. I mostly ride to see the scenery (slower). The King will do both. I cannot say enough good about this thing.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, fair enough. I see were you are comming from. I know that the belt drives very from brand to brand and now that you mention it the Kawi is not as quite as the KQ. I am surprised about the EBC not having a good controled feel on steep decents. I have always thought it was one of the better EBC on the market. All of mine and others in our group decend at slow walk speed if you want them to. That really does surprise me. I can remember back about 5 or 6 years ago when I got my first belt drive auto and herd that whine of the belt for the first time on my 2000 Kodiac and thought there was something wrong with it. I think that I have become so used to hearing the belt drives whine that I don't even notice one being louder than the other. But you are right I think the KQ was quieter, good point. I do have Pro-circut pipes on all of mine so I am sure allot of that whine is being drownd out by the motor. I just love the sound of the twin, I like having my motors where I can here them. Not real loud just nice deep rumble. So where the tranny whine bothers you, The big singles vibration bothers me. I can see that from your list of quads that you are likewise used to the sound and feel of large singles and likely do not notice that vibration that bothers me.

Pastor, I doubt its a fluke, all three different KQ's that I have road do it. I think its just more or less noticable depending on what you are use to. I am sure I would have never thought a thing about it. If I had gone from my old 660 grizz to the KQ. Its not a problem really its just by design almost impossable to have one large piston moving up and down by its self, not to have it transfer some of that force into the chassis. The V-twin uses two smaller pistons that fire oposite of each other countering the force of the the other creating a very, very smooth balanced engine. I don't think there is really much difference in how long either design will last. Nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: 2005 King Quad...ATV of the Year...the real story