Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

help! z400 header/jetting

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! z400 header/jetting

Hello to all that can be of service!!! I ordered an HMF full pipe and pro power pack from sweetquads.com, pretty good deal i thought. I have already put the new airfilter on, and have not received the pipe in the mail yet, but i firgure i had the bike apart so i am removing the stock exhaust. I cant seem to get the header off and i am about to just saw the thing. I dont see using it in the future, going back to stock never will happen. Will i need to take some stuff apart anyway to get the new HMF header on there???? Just trying to save myself some time.

Also, my roomate and I (has an 04 z400, i have an 05) have decided to do the jetting on our own. I live in phoenix and dont see much of altitudes, so i dont see changing the jet. What do you guys suggest i should start with, and please send me any tips. I know there are other threads out there about jetting, and i have checked them, but please still let me know what you think. I did buy an impact wrench to crack the srews on the carb, the guy at the shop told me that would help. anything else that will help out, please let me know. again, it is going to be jetted with the HMF full pipe. Thank you!!!

Rookie(who is about to be going a lot faster!!!)

Old 05-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Im not sure about the jetting for HMF. Anywhere from a 160 to 170 main seems to be pretty common with the airbox lid removed.

To get the stock header off I removed the coolant hos from the right side. It took quite a bit of twisting and turning , but I got the stock header out without cutting it. A lot of people cut theirs to remove them.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know how the Munki carb in the 05 compares to the smaller carbs in the 03-04, but i just jetted my 03 after installing an HMF slip on. )I copied a friends 04 Z400 jetting setup, he has a full Curti$ $park$ Exhau$t. (hint, expensive)) With the jet kit, I used the needle, putting the clip on the 4th setting, vise the advised 3rd setting. (gives more go go juice) I used the 165 jet. Drill the brass plug out in the bottom to gain access to the fuel mixture screw. bottom it out, then back it out 2.5 - 3 turns. And remove the air box cover and snorkel. Should run like a bat outta hell....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] My elevation is near sea level on the Washington Coast.

There is a little diff in performance due to the variance in exhaust. The full system gives him faster top end, but my Slip on gives me a lot more bottom end, great for cornering and quick run up to jumps. Hopes this helps a little

Old 05-20-2005, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy new allen head screw for the carb bowl and replaced them while you have them out. The thread are 4x10

Old 05-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer

hello, i dont know if i got this duplicated, i am still new to the forums, sorry!!!!

well thank you guys for helping me out. Turns out i got the pro power pack a couple days ago and got the K&N in there, still didnt get the HMF pipe from sweetqads yet. So tonight i decided to attack the jetting and i have to say......... not too bad. I have an impact wrench and it came apart pretty easily. Without the pipe i didnt know which main jet to use exactly, but just put in the 155, on the 3rd clip. Again, i havent started it bc i didnt get the pipe, hopefully tomorrow bc i dont want to miss ridin this wkend!!! i think i will need a bigger MJ but for now that is what i put in there

have any of you guys messed with the "pilot screw" which is hidden by that brass plug?? most people have been mentioning that screw, but i was afraid of the drilling process. Please let me know. Even though i am happy at the moment that i got the first round of jetting done bc now i know where to reach it all, i will let you know (hopefully soon when the pipe gets here) how annoyed i am with having a lot of trial and error with the jets. ill be posting back soon.........

also, there is a good website to check out for jetting it is "z400" then the word "central" .com
take it easy.........

Old 05-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

The brass plug is pretty easy, just use a 3/16" or so drill bit. Use enough pressure to cut into it, but have enough control to keep from bottoming out when you break through it and mar the screw. The plug crumbled after I broke through it. If it don't, I guess you could just step up to the next size drill bit and so on, till you have access to the screw.

Last and foremost, make sure you don't have a rubber plug instead of a brass plug. I helped another aquantence do his jetting this weekend on his 04 Z. Where I had a brass plug, he had a rubber cap instead. Good thing I pulled up when I did, he had the drill out, ready to go.

So what differences have you noticed between you & your buddies carbs, you said you have an 05, which has a carb bigger than the 03-04 model. Both years are made by Mikuni, so the bodies of the carbs should be roughly the same.

Good Luck Man!

Old 05-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

well i am still waiting for the pipe, to put everything back together and check the jetting. As for the differeces, i really cant say bc he cut out the baffle in his stock pipe and did the K&N, then decided to get the rejet done at a shop. So we never took his apart. I do know that even with those few mods, his 04 could not beat my 05, i guess bc of the upgrades. so he is NOT looking forward to me smoking him when i get this all back together.

As for the screw, it does seem that everyone cuts the brass away, but what does this screw control?? i just want a better understanding of it. Also will i not be able to get the jetting correct if i dont mess with it? am i supposed to put something else over the screw once i do this so it doesnt get dirt up in there, or should it be ok.??? thank again

Trending Topics

Old 05-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Trailblazer

well i got the pipe tonight, any last help before i try and get it on before tomorrow night??? any help or resonse apprieciated.
The rooke

Old 06-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Long time no hear pal, how'd the new pipe go? Hope all is well since we haven't heard from you. let us know.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

the pipe is great, nice and loud with great power. I got it running pretty well, a nice tan plug color but I am still going to do the sppt check where you just open throttle to check if the main jet is on also. BUt overall really happy with the performance and the jetting isnt bad after doing it a couple times, takes like 20 min. Later

Quick Reply: help! z400 header/jetting