Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Can I use K&N filter oil on my Twin-air foam filter??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use K&N filter oil on my Twin-air foam filter??

Hey, I got my filter all cleaned on my Quadzilla and I just need to oil it up. Havent cleaned it since i got it so I dont really have any experience with foam filters, just K&N. Can i use my spray on K&N filter oil or do I need to use somthing else. If so, what do you use on your foam filters.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well I've heard that you should use the oil intended for your specific filter. The advice sounded reasonable w/ some solid scientific reasoning. I, personally, use Klotz since that's the only filter oil that the closest dealer sells. Seems to be quite good. I imagine you could use the oil as long as the filters are of similar material. I say go for it, but don't hold me responsible if something goes wrong.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

It's not the same material its a foam filter. K&N filters are gause filters. Anybody else have any info?

Old 06-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

get some foam air filter oil. like pj1 spray on oil. the spray on is alot easier and cleaner to put on.

i wouldn't use the k+n oil. the foam oil is alot stickier and will stick to the foam filter better.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

My owners manual says regular 10w40 engine oil.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: mdinkle
My owners manual says regular 10w40 engine oil.
if you use regular motor oil it will just all leak off the filter and it will become drie and you will have a mess in your airbox. they make foam filter oil sticky so it sticks and stays on the air filter, and won't run off. if the oil leaks off there won't be anything there to catch the dirt and it will pass through the air filter!!

so my point is don't use engine oil! buy foam filter oil.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Maxima FAB 1. It is super-tacky, and nothing is going to get through there!

The trouble with engine oil is that it tends to "dry up" after a while (the dirt tends to draw the oil OUT OF THE FILTER). I don't think K&N oil would fare any better.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

well nobody answered my question so Ill answer it for anybody who might search for the same question. I asked my engine builder and he said its fine to use the spray on K&N filter oil on my foam filter so If you disagree let it fly

Old 06-09-2005, 08:34 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I woulnt do it but I'm sure it will probubly be fine. I use k&n oil on my k&n filters and belray foam filter oil on my foam filters. I used to use 50 wt motor oil but it would eventually drain off the filter and drip out the air box vent. Foam filter oil is still there a year later on the bikes I dont ride much.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CTATV, About a year ago it was all I had around, so I used it and rode in very dusty codnitions. Took my filter off and no debris what so ever got thru and the inside of my filters are spotless. Been using it ever since.

So from what I have seen, yess you can use K&N oil on foam filters. I clean and re-oil my filters often to tho.

Quick Reply: Can I use K&N filter oil on my Twin-air foam filter??