Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quadzilla Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadzilla Vibration?

Well, im sorry to say but if you are sure you you do indeed have UP AND DOWN play in that motor, start pullin it. Shes down for the count.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Pro Rider

The two easily visible timing marks are on the counterbalancer gear and the gear that connects to it,the third mark is on the crank shaft itself.you might have to pull the nut off and the first gear off the crankshaft to see the third timing mark.funny thing is,i had the same problem with my 250,and turns out that my clymer manual makes no mention of the third mark!! haha,but its there. I wouldnt sweat the rebuild to much,i would just do it "all" why your down there. i wouldnt think a bottom and top rebuild,even when rebuilding the crankshaft would cost more than 4-500 bucks if you do the work yourself.but the best thing about it is that when your done its all new and reliable!

Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, good news!
I found the third mark, and it was way off. And the play I was feeling was from the last bonehead trying to play lefty loosie/righty tighty with the reverse threaded crank nut!!! The gear was just loose. I put it back together, and although it it still worse that my last bike (2000 YZ250) it's about a 1000% improvement.
Thanks for your help guys!!!
See ya at the dunes!!!

Old 06-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

Good deal man.. but remember that ALL quadzillas were made with crank bearings that will wear egg shaped eventually, and the up and down play is the sign
of downhill.

If you felt any true up and down play (which wouldnt be caused by a loose nut, ONLY warn out egg shaped bearings) then you will probably
start getting a big airleak in through the main bearings, causing it to run bad, (sputter at high RPM, or act like it has an RPM limiter half way up)
Then it just gets worse and you must rebuild with the main bearing fix.

Just keep this in mind, and pay attention when you ride it. If it starts to run lean, and not want to rev out soon, take that cover off and feel that up and down play again.
It will probably be worse. (and causing a major air leak - your lean condition)

Old 06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll definitely keep the "egg bearings" in mind, the Suzuki dealer told me the same thing about them. I need to get some regular tires for it (it has paddles and razorbacks on it) and then I'll go wring it out and see how it feels. Thanks again for all the info!

Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Look at my avatar and tell me if that looks like your new Zilla. Actually, go HEREand click on past bikes or whatever I put, the one with
the black miata in the cover picture.

Go down the page and look for my old Zilla. Does yours look like that? I sold it to someone in your area about 2 years ago.
It was an 88, nerfs, came with full set of paddles and razors as well as dirt tires.
Just curious. If it happens to be, I can tell you a whole lot about what is done to it.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looks pretty similar, especially the trim job on the front fenders. Mine has no nerfs, no rear fenders, different paddles, and a hi-flite seat cover, and the headlight has been removed. I don't think it's the same, but you never know....