Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2005 King Quad Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 05:17 PM
BAW
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 King Quad Overheating Problem

I have a brand new KQ with about 35 hrs/150mi. A couple of weeks ago, while riding in rather warm weather (85 degrees) here in NY, the red temperature light came on after only about 5 miles of moderate riding. It was time for my "first service" anyway, so I decided to just drop it off at the dealer. They couldn't find anything and just flushed the coolant and refilled. I picked it up yesterday and went for a ride this morning. I was traveling very slow, under 10 mph, for about a mile and the red light came on again. I shut down for about 5 minutes, but it was still on, so I headed home real slow.

Does anyone have any idea what I should check before I bring it back to the dealer? The coolant level is a little low as it was boiling over when I got home. Other than that?

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

I have had a lot of overheating problems with overheating, but i haven't figured out why. I have heard that the light will come on if the ecu goes bad tho.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys I would try washing my radiator, it happen to me and my radiator was full of mud. was it good from the back. And if it happens in the trails try finding a hole of water deep and ride backwords. It worked for me.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

Yeah i know that was the problem sometimes, but i have had mine overheat w/ the front and back of the radiator clean.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem I have narrowed it town to the fan. I have noticed when my light come on the fan is not running. So I pout my hand up there and wiggled the wires and turned it off and then back on, then the fan came on. Don’t know if it a loose connection on the fan motor or the temp sensor or what the problem is. But that has fixed it for more 4 times now. Just be careful since there is no guard for the fan blades.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have had the same problem also....My radiator was getting clogged with mudd all the time so i made some side covers that protect the radiator from getting mudd in it. I also put some royal purple Ice in the coolant to keep the temp down even more. I was also running 0w40 amsoil in it and thats a little thin for summer.....i switched to 10w 30 amsoil and it helped out.
Hope this helps. I havent had a problem at after all that.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:57 PM
BAW
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the responses and glad to know I am not alone. I know the radiator is clean, as I washed the entire thing down prior to going on the first ride it happened. Since it came from the dealer and they checked it out, I hope they would have checked to see if it was clogged, but you never know. They did a full inspection and only found my throttle wire was frayed (factory defect) and my speedometer cable had been "ripped out." I specifically asked them to look at the fan as I think that is the problem. It does not sound or feel like it is on. Usually, when the fan kicks on and I am idling, I can hear the fan. Maybe it is just coming on too late. Today the coolant was bubbling when I got home. It can't be good for the engine. I forgot to mention that the speedometer stopped working the first time when the engine light came on. More thoughts???

Old 06-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

You MUST be SURE that the cooling fins are completely CLEAR for the radiator to cool correctly..

To be SURE,take a light of some kind and put it BEHIND your radiator from the REAR..Than go up to the front of your ATV and see if YOU can see the light of your light source as you are looking thru the radiator fins from the front of the ATV?If you can,than the radiator is clear and is not the culprit,however,if you cant see the light source,you need to go to your local parts store and buy a bottle of the strongest Stainless Steel Tire Cleaner that they have..This stuff is used to clean up your car rims on your car and is pretty good for cleaning up up an aluiminum radiator and its cooling fins of dirt/mud and debree..Spay it on and let it sit for about 3-5 minutes,than flush it out from the front and rear of the radiator..Do this TWO times and you wont have a light to worry about anymore if the radiator was clogged.