Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 400 Leaking a considerable amount of antifreeze. Help Please ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 400 Leaking a considerable amount of antifreeze. Help Please ASAP

I'm pretty new to this whole ATV forum thing so please do correct me of any mistakes I make. I have a 2004 (guesstimation because the bottom of the seat says 2004 on it) Kodiak 400 4x2 that I bought off of my boss for 2k. It had an overheating problem so I took it to get it fixed about a month or two ago. Sadly my boss didn't take good care of it AT ALL, it's completely sun-bleached and he attempted to paint it with plastic paint which of course the gas rubbed it off. But I digress, The problem I'm having right now is the repairs where mostly successful, It had half the compression it was supposed to have (100, the regular is around 177) and refused to start. I've put around $900 in getting it fixed, and would love to not have to put ANY more into it. He replaced all of the rings and gaskets. It was showing most of the signs of a blown head-gasket before. (disappearing antifreeze and a massive overheating issue) after about 11 minutes of riding the temp light would come on. I would shut it off until the light went off and it would refuse to start until it was outside temp. It stopped starting all together eventually, that's when I decided it was time to get fixed. He fixed everything except it is leaking antifreeze from the top of what I would guess is the water pump. If you guys could please guide me in a easy way of how to fix this without costing me another $900 I'd be forever grateful. EDIT: I forgot to include that at first I thought it was coming from the black hose with the hose clamp on it but it isn't It's coming from the higher metal pipe with the screw holding it in the engine and antifreeze is leaking down to the black hose. I was thinking I would be able to use a redneck Idea and use foam sealant (Expandable foam) Then I was wondering if it would be able to withstand the heat.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Take the allen screw out, pull the black pipe out of the casting, you may have to disconnect the pipe at the other end to do this or, at worst, remove the casting instead of the pipe. Once off you will find a faulty O-ring. Fit a new one, making sure the seating is spotlessly clean. That should fix it.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Just noticed, that bottom hose is not all the way on either.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that top tube going in the water pump housing suppose to have that half circle gap? You would think a lot of crap would get in there since the water pump housing gets submerged in mud and water on rides.